Submissions have opened for the 19th annual Independent Games Festival (IGF), taking place in San Francisco in 2017.
The IGF and its award ceremony will once again be part of the 2017 Game Developers Conference (GDC), which takes place from 27th February to 3rd March 2017 at San Francisco’s Moscone Convention Center.
The awards offer over $50,000 in prizes and recognise achievement in Visual Art, Audio, Design and Narrative. There will also be six finalists for the Seumas McNally Grand Prize which has a $30,000 prize. The special Nuovo Award also returns with a $5,000 prize on offer for the title that ‘makes the jurors think differently about games as a medium’. The IGF Audience Award and the Best Student Game Award will reward winners with $3,000. And this year sees a new alt.ctrl.GDC Award that will recognise games that use unique one-of-a-kind controllers.
The selected finalists will be playable at the IGF Pavilion on the GDC Expo floor from 1-3 March
At 2016’s awards Her Story was the big success, picking up the Excellence in Narrative award in addition to the Grand Prize. Other recent IGF winners include Papers, Please, Spelunky, World of Goo, Braid, and Limbo.
IGF submission deadlines and dates
- August 1, 2016 – Submissions are Open
- October 24, 2016 – Submission Deadline
- Early January, 2017 – IGF Finalists Announced
- February 27 – March 3, 2017 – Game Developers Conference 2017
- February 27 – February 28, 2017 – Independent Games Summit @ GDC 2017
- March 1 – March 3, 2017 – IGF Pavilion @ GDC 2017
- March 1, 2017 – IGF Awards Ceremony (Winners announced)
To submit your game, visit the 2017 Independent Games Festival website.