Tonight’s European Nintendo Direct broadcast, which was again presented by the lovable Satoru Shibata, revealed details and dates for a huge number of Wii U and 3DS games.
Highlights included more details on Star Fox Zero, the reveal of Monster Hunter Generations, and a new amiibo-compatible Kirby game.
One of Miyamoto’s E3 2014 Wii U demos also resurfaced in the shape of Star Fox Guard. The game will be available as Wii U digital download or in a limited edition retail bundle with Star Fox Zero, which now has a confirmed release date of 22nd April, 2016.
There was also a much better showing for Metroid Prime: Federation Force, the game that sent many fans into meltdown upon its E3 2015 announcement. With more modes detailed and character classes adding a smidge of depth, it looks like being a lightweight but enjoyable collection of Metroid-themed multiplayer games.
The long-awaited arrival of SNES games on the 3DS Virtual Console was also finally announced. There are a few catches, however. Games will only be available on New Nintendo 3DS systems and here was no word of any cross-buy style functionality for titles already purchased on Wii U. The range will begin with Earthbound and Super Mario World.
And – at long last – we’ll see a Paper Mario game in HD, with Paper Mario Color Splash announced for a 2016 release.
Due to yet another leak many of the items featured in tonight’s broadcast were already known. It’s a real shame to see Nintendo Directs spoiled in advance and we hope that they can plug the leaks in future.
The full list of today’s announcements:
- Smash Bros Fox Amiibo unlocks SNES Arwing skin in Star Fox Zero
- Star Fox Guard coming to Wii U eShop on 22nd April
- Star Fox Zero released on April 22 (Limited edition pack-in includes Star Fox Guard)
- Splatoon software update on the way
- Mario and Sonic at the Rio 2016 Olympic Games released in April
- Super Mario Maker update features spike pillars, pink coins,keys and Super Expert Mode – coming 9th March
- Tokyo Mirage Session #FE coming from Atlus Games on 24th June
- Paper Mario Color Splash coming to Wii U in 2016
- My Nintendo and Nintendo Account registration detailed
- New Animal Crossing amiibo cards released in March and June
- Hyrule Warriors Legends released for 3DS on 24th March (plus demo)
- Hyrule Warriors Legends to get a four-part season pass
- Yo-Kai Watch released on 29th April
- Yo-Kai Watch demo out now!
- Disney Art Academy released for Wii U on July 15
- Metroid Prime Federation Force modes revealed, coming Summer 2016.
- Lost Reavers Free to Play action game coming to Wii U, beta on the way
- Virtual Console SNES games coming to New Nintendo 3DS and 3DS XL
- Azure Striker Gunvolt 2 coming to 3DS this summer
- Fire Emblem Fates (including retail Special Edition) released on 20th May
- Dragon Quest VII coming in 2016
- Monster Hunter Generations coming in Summer 2016
- Rhythm Paradise MegaMix announced
- Kirby Planet Robobot coming on June 10th
- New Kirby series amiibo announced
All in all it was a welcome selection of announcements that should keep the Nintendo train chugging along until E3.
Want more neat stuff?
If you want to keep abreast of the latest news, features, reviews, guides, and sales, we can send all our latest articles and great content straight to your inbox. You know, collated together, once or twice a week, in a newsletter. We wouldn't send them one at a time – that would be weird and annoying!
Recommended for you
Latest from Thumbsticks
Mortal Kombat franchise sells 73 million units on console
Warner Bros. Games reveals some impressive sales numbers for Mortal Kombat 11 and the franchise as a whole.
New PlayStation Store releases for July 26-30, 2021
The Great Ace Attorney Chronicles and Neo: The World Ends with You headline a busy week of new PlayStation Store releases for...
Nintendo Switch releases for July 26-30, 2021
NEO: The World Ends With You and The Great Ace Attorney Chronicles headline this week's lineup of new Nintendo Switch eShop...
New Xbox releases for July 26-30, 2021
Microsoft Flight Simulator and The Ascent headline the list of new games coming to Xbox Series X|S and Xbox One.
Battlefield 2042 beta set for September
Players can try out Battlefield 2042 this September ahead of an October launch.
Mario Golf: Super Rush review
Mayhem and mushrooms make Mario Golf: Super Rush another multiplayer delight for the Nintendo Switch.
Dead Space, Battlefield Portal and everything else at EA Play Live
Have you got those post-E3 blues? EA Play Live has you covered with a short presentation that packed a punch.
More great games join Xbox Game Pass from today
Microsoft Flight Simulator and Cris Tales are among the games joining Xbox Game Pass this month.