Tonight’s European Nintendo Direct broadcast, which was again presented by the lovable Satoru Shibata, revealed details and dates for a huge number of Wii U and 3DS games.
Highlights included more details on Star Fox Zero, the reveal of Monster Hunter Generations, and a new amiibo-compatible Kirby game.
One of Miyamoto’s E3 2014 Wii U demos also resurfaced in the shape of Star Fox Guard. The game will be available as Wii U digital download or in a limited edition retail bundle with Star Fox Zero, which now has a confirmed release date of 22nd April, 2016.
There was also a much better showing for Metroid Prime: Federation Force, the game that sent many fans into meltdown upon its E3 2015 announcement. With more modes detailed and character classes adding a smidge of depth, it looks like being a lightweight but enjoyable collection of Metroid-themed multiplayer games.
The long-awaited arrival of SNES games on the 3DS Virtual Console was also finally announced. There are a few catches, however. Games will only be available on New Nintendo 3DS systems and here was no word of any cross-buy style functionality for titles already purchased on Wii U. The range will begin with Earthbound and Super Mario World.
And – at long last – we’ll see a Paper Mario game in HD, with Paper Mario Color Splash announced for a 2016 release.
Due to yet another leak many of the items featured in tonight’s broadcast were already known. It’s a real shame to see Nintendo Directs spoiled in advance and we hope that they can plug the leaks in future.
The full list of today’s announcements:
- Smash Bros Fox Amiibo unlocks SNES Arwing skin in Star Fox Zero
- Star Fox Guard coming to Wii U eShop on 22nd April
- Star Fox Zero released on April 22 (Limited edition pack-in includes Star Fox Guard)
- Splatoon software update on the way
- Mario and Sonic at the Rio 2016 Olympic Games released in April
- Super Mario Maker update features spike pillars, pink coins,keys and Super Expert Mode – coming 9th March
- Tokyo Mirage Session #FE coming from Atlus Games on 24th June
- Paper Mario Color Splash coming to Wii U in 2016
- My Nintendo and Nintendo Account registration detailed
- New Animal Crossing amiibo cards released in March and June
- Hyrule Warriors Legends released for 3DS on 24th March (plus demo)
- Hyrule Warriors Legends to get a four-part season pass
- Yo-Kai Watch released on 29th April
- Yo-Kai Watch demo out now!
- Disney Art Academy released for Wii U on July 15
- Metroid Prime Federation Force modes revealed, coming Summer 2016.
- Lost Reavers Free to Play action game coming to Wii U, beta on the way
- Virtual Console SNES games coming to New Nintendo 3DS and 3DS XL
- Azure Striker Gunvolt 2 coming to 3DS this summer
- Fire Emblem Fates (including retail Special Edition) released on 20th May
- Dragon Quest VII coming in 2016
- Monster Hunter Generations coming in Summer 2016
- Rhythm Paradise MegaMix announced
- Kirby Planet Robobot coming on June 10th
- New Kirby series amiibo announced
All in all it was a welcome selection of announcements that should keep the Nintendo train chugging along until E3.