Nintendo really wants us to be excited about their upcoming Nintendo Switch game, Arms.
And, do you know what? We kind of are. We won’t lie though, it’s taken a while. When the game was unveiled at January’s Nintendo Switch launch event, we were naturally more interested in The Legend of Zelda: Breath of the Wild, and Super Mario Odyssey.
However, over the last few months we’ve received a steady stream of information – from the recent Nintendo Direct, to an extensive feature in the May edition of Edge magazine – that indicates it’s a game of surprising depth and complexity.
Nintendo’s Arms Direct broadcast only gives us further cause for excitement, with a stack of new information revealed about the game’s characters and modes ahead of its June release. Here’s the full list of announcements:
- Introduction to weights: Light, Medium and Heavy
- Introduction to attributes: Fire, Electricity, Wind, Ice, Stun, Explosion, and Blind
- Character breakdown: Spring Man, Mechanica, Ninjara, Master Mummy, Kid Cobra, Ribbon Girl, Min Min, Helix, Byte & Barq, Twintelle
- Versus Modes: Fight, V-Ball, Hoops, Skillshot, 1-on-100, Training
- Standard modes including Grand Prix
- Online mode: Party Match with 20 player lobby for 2-4 player matches
- Online mode: 1-on-1 Ranked Matches
- Local wireless modes: Eight player lobby
- New fighters, stages, and arms coming as free DLC.
- Online Global Testpunch: Running on 26th, 27th, 28th May and 2nd, 3rd, 4th June
Here’s the full broadcast for your viewing pleasure. Bam! Extendable arms!
Arms will be released for Nintendo Switch on June 16, 2017. Nintendo will also be hosting the 2017 Arms Open Invitational on June 14, during E3 2017.