It’s taken a while, but Puyo Puyo Tetris is finally coming to Europe and America.
Sonic Team’s puzzle crossover was originally released in Japan way back in 2014. It made an appearance on pretty much every console – even the Xbox One – but has only now received a firm release date in the West.
Quite why it’s taken so long for Sega to bring the game to these shores is anyone’s guess. Perhaps it’s the Puyo Puyo element. Tetris is a staple of any Western gaming diet, but Puyo Puyo? Not so much. In fact, Puyo Puyo Tetris is the first game in the series to get an international localisation in over ten years.
As the name suggests, Puyo Puyo Tetris incorporates gameplay mechanics from both series, so if you’re a fan of dropping, twisting and rotating colourful blocks – and have penchant for intense multitasking – this could be the game for you.
Puyo Puyo Tetris includes arcade and adventure single-player modes, but the real fun might be found in the game’s generous smattering of multiplayer options. There are five modes to choose from:
- Versus – Standard head-to-head Puyo Puyo or Tetris matches
- Swap – Compete on both Puyo Puyo and Tetris boards, which swap at set intervals.
- Fusion – A hybrid game with Puyos and Tetriminos together on the same board
- Big Bang – Complete challenge boards as quickly as possible to win
- Party – Compete on Puyo Puyo or Tetris boards with special items that both help and harm opponents
Puyo Puyo Tetris will be released in North America on April 25, and Europe on April 28, 2017. Alas, there’s no Xbox One version this time round, with the game only slated for release on PlayStation 4 and Nintendo Switch.
The PlayStation 4 edition will only be available on disc at retail. The Nintendo Switch version will be available digitally on the Nintendo eShop, and at retail in a special launch edition that includes two Puyo Puyo Tetris key chains.