The Academy of Interactive Arts & Sciences (AIAS) and Wonderstruck Entertainment release a new 10 part documentary series on game development.
The Game Makers: Inside Story – which is directed by filmmaker and games writer, Jennie Kong – explores the creative process of design and storytelling in video games, looking at the choices and challenges encountered in creating both triple-A and indie titles.
The series features contributions of a number of industry luminaries including Amy Hennig, Jenova Chen, Neil Druckmann, Jade Raymond, David Cage, and Hideo Kojima.
“The landscape of storytelling in games has changed over the past few years,” says Kong. “Video game and VR/AR developers are more excited to engage audiences on a meaningful level and tell stories that can move us to tears. I wanted to examine this movement and capture on film what it takes for award-winning studios and indie creators to write and direct emotionally-driven video games.”
Kong has interviewed a truly stellar list of noted game creators, who discuss some of the most important games released in the last decade. Each episode concentrates on particular aspect of narrative design and includes insights from this amazing bunch:
- Will Byles (Until Dawn)
- David Cage (Detroit: Become Human, Heavy Rain)
- Jenova Chen (Journey, Flower)
- Ian Dallas (What Remains of Edith Finch, Unfinished Swan)
- Mary DeMarle (Deus Ex series)
- Neil Druckmann (The Last of Us series, Uncharted series)
- Brian Hastings (Ratchet & Clank series, Edge of Nowhere VR)
- Amy Hennig (Untitled Star Wars project, Uncharted)
- Hideo Kojima (Death Stranding, Metal Gear Solid series)
- Matt Korba (King’s Quest series)
- Jade Raymond (Upcoming Star Wars Battlefront, Assassin’s Creed 1&2)
- Dominic Robilliard (Entwined)
- Sean Vanaman (Firewatch, The Walking Dead)
- Ru Weerasuriya (Lone Echo VR, The Order: 1886)
- Kiki Wolfkill (Halo series)
The Game Makers: Inside Story – Episode Guide
- Episode 1: on story development
- Episode 2: on writing process
- Episode 3: on character & emotion
- Episode 4: on narrative design
- Episode 5: on structure
- Episode 6: on directing & performance
- Episode 7: on environmental story
- Episode 8: on virtual and augmented reality
- Episode 9: on social themes
- Episode 10: on the future of interactive story
The Game Makers: Inside Story is being released in lead up to the 20th Anniversary of the AIAS. Terrence Myers, executive producer at the academy, said:
“The Academy is thrilled to partner with Jennie on her project, The Game Makers series. It fits perfectly into our mission to celebrate the best games and their brilliant creators – something we have done for 20 years through the D.I.C.E. Awards and our other initiatives. We hope to continue to find partners of Jennie’s caliber who have a deep love and respect for the medium and those who work within it.”
You can find out more at the AIAS website.
Want more neat stuff?
If you want to keep abreast of the latest news, features, reviews, guides, and sales, we can send all our latest articles and great content straight to your inbox. You know, collated together, once or twice a week, in a newsletter. We wouldn't send them one at a time – that would be weird and annoying!
Recommended for you
Latest from Thumbsticks
Three great games are free to play on Xbox this weekend.
Xbox Game Pass Ultimate and Xbox Live Gold members can play three new games for free until Sunday.
Here are the Xbox Games with Gold for December
In case you missed it, here are the four games available through Xbox Games with Gold in December 2021.
Pac-Man – Birth of an Icon review
Pac-Man - Birth of an Icon details the meteoric rise of Namco's groundbreaking arcade game in glorious, vivid detail.
13 Sentinels: Aegis Rim Nintendo Switch release date confirmed
13 Sentinels: Aegis Rim, the critically acclaimed strategy adventure game from Vanillaware, will be released for Nintendo Switch in April...
Icarus from DayZ creator Dean Hall is out this week
Icarus is the latest title from Dean Hall's post-DayZ studio. Will it fly too close to the sun like DayZ...
New PlayStation Store releases: November 29 – December 3, 2021
This week's lineup of new PlayStation Store releases for the PS4 and PS5 includes Evil Genius 2: World Domination and Solar...
New Nintendo Switch releases: November 29 – December 3, 2021
Big Brain Academy: Brain vs Brain and Danganronpa Decadence headline this week's lineup of new Nintendo Switch eShop releases.
New Xbox releases: November 29 – December 3, 2021
Upcoming Xbox Series X|S and Xbox One releases include Evil Genius 2: World Domination, Beyond a Steel Sky, and Chorus.