The Academy of Interactive Arts & Sciences (AIAS) and Wonderstruck Entertainment release a new 10 part documentary series on game development.
The Game Makers: Inside Story – which is directed by filmmaker and games writer, Jennie Kong – explores the creative process of design and storytelling in video games, looking at the choices and challenges encountered in creating both triple-A and indie titles.
The series features contributions of a number of industry luminaries including Amy Hennig, Jenova Chen, Neil Druckmann, Jade Raymond, David Cage, and Hideo Kojima.
“The landscape of storytelling in games has changed over the past few years,” says Kong. “Video game and VR/AR developers are more excited to engage audiences on a meaningful level and tell stories that can move us to tears. I wanted to examine this movement and capture on film what it takes for award-winning studios and indie creators to write and direct emotionally-driven video games.”
Kong has interviewed a truly stellar list of noted game creators, who discuss some of the most important games released in the last decade. Each episode concentrates on particular aspect of narrative design and includes insights from this amazing bunch:
- Will Byles (Until Dawn)
- David Cage (Detroit: Become Human, Heavy Rain)
- Jenova Chen (Journey, Flower)
- Ian Dallas (What Remains of Edith Finch, Unfinished Swan)
- Mary DeMarle (Deus Ex series)
- Neil Druckmann (The Last of Us series, Uncharted series)
- Brian Hastings (Ratchet & Clank series, Edge of Nowhere VR)
- Amy Hennig (Untitled Star Wars project, Uncharted)
- Hideo Kojima (Death Stranding, Metal Gear Solid series)
- Matt Korba (King’s Quest series)
- Jade Raymond (Upcoming Star Wars Battlefront, Assassin’s Creed 1&2)
- Dominic Robilliard (Entwined)
- Sean Vanaman (Firewatch, The Walking Dead)
- Ru Weerasuriya (Lone Echo VR, The Order: 1886)
- Kiki Wolfkill (Halo series)
The Game Makers: Inside Story – Episode Guide
- Episode 1: on story development
- Episode 2: on writing process
- Episode 3: on character & emotion
- Episode 4: on narrative design
- Episode 5: on structure
- Episode 6: on directing & performance
- Episode 7: on environmental story
- Episode 8: on virtual and augmented reality
- Episode 9: on social themes
- Episode 10: on the future of interactive story
The Game Makers: Inside Story is being released in lead up to the 20th Anniversary of the AIAS. Terrence Myers, executive producer at the academy, said:
“The Academy is thrilled to partner with Jennie on her project, The Game Makers series. It fits perfectly into our mission to celebrate the best games and their brilliant creators – something we have done for 20 years through the D.I.C.E. Awards and our other initiatives. We hope to continue to find partners of Jennie’s caliber who have a deep love and respect for the medium and those who work within it.”
You can find out more at the AIAS website.
Special delivery for you
If you want to keep on top of the latest news, features, reviews, guides, and sales, we can send all our latest articles and great content straight to your inbox. You know, collated together, once or twice a week, in a newsletter. We wouldn't send them one at a time – that would be weird and annoying!
Recommended for you
Latest from Thumbsticks
Marvel’s Avengers is now free on PS4, PS5, PC, and Stadia
Square Enix opens up Marvel's Avengers to PlayStation, Steam, and Stadia players for the next three days.
Ori: The Collection bundles both games on one Nintendo Switch cartridge
Iam8bit, the specialist publisher of collector's editions, is bringing Ori: The Collection to Nintendo Switch later this year.
PlayStation Plus gets three games in August 2021
Sony reveals the free video games available to PlayStation Plus subscribers in August 2021.
The Xbox Games with Gold for August 2021 are pretty good
The Xbox Games with Gold lineup for August 2021 includes an underrated sequel and a flawed but fun homage to...
Krispy Kreme developing Nexus Level Doughnut in partnership with Xbox
This Krispy Kreme / Xbox mashup doughnut looks delicious, sure, but why is it called the "Nexus Level" doughnut?
Is Valve’s Steam Deck the perfect gateway to PC gaming?
With a simple and approachable device like the Steam Deck, will PC gaming finally get its hooks into console gamers?
The next Monster Hunter Rise event adds Okami’s Amaterasu
Capcom has announced that the next collaboration event for Monster Hunter Rise will feature Amaterasu from Okami.
This tech demo from Gears of War developer The Coalition is unreal
Unreal Engine 5 running on the Xbox Series X, that is.