Sony’s June PlayStation State of Play presentation lifts the lid on Final Fantasy XVI, Street Fighter VI, and some upcoming PSVR2 titles.
The first of this year’s not-E3 gaming showcases was heavy on nostalgia and fan favourite franchises, but no worse for it. The show opened with confirmation that Capcom’s Resident Evil 4 is getting a next-gen makeover and that Resident Evil Village will be coming to PSVR2.
PlayStation’s next-gen VR device didn’t get a launch date, but it will be sometime this year based on the trailer for The Walking Dead: Saints and Sinners – Retribution. Other confirmed PSVR2 titles include No Man’s Sky and Horizon Call of the Mountain.
Capcom also delivered the goods with a full reveal for Street Fighter VI, which looks pleasingly weighty and appears to include exploration gameplay elements.
Sony didn’t have much to show from a first-party perspective – although Marvel’s Spider-Man is being remastered for PC – so it was up to Square Enix to conclude the presentation. A detailed look at Final Fantasy XVI was suitably epic in terms of visual scale and emotional stakes. It’s due next year.
Scroll to the bottom of the page to watch the June 2022 PlayStation State of Play presentation in full. Here’s a quick round-up of every announcement.
PlayStation State of Play – June 2022 announcements
- Resident Evil 4 Remake – Coming to PS5 on March 24, 2023
- Resident Evil Village – Coming to PSVR2, date TBC
- The Walking Dead: Saints and Sinners – Retribution – Confirmed for release on PSVR2 later this year
- No Man’s Sky – Hello Games’ infinite sci-fi universe will also be explorable via PSVR2
- Horizon Call of the Mountain – A first gameplay trailer for Guerilla Games’ upcoming PSVR2 exclusive
- Horizon Forbidden West – A new update is available now that includes performance options, gameplay tweaks, New Game+, and new difficulty modes
- Marvel’s Spider-Man Remastered – Spidey will swing onto PC on August 12, 2022
- Stray – Dated for release on July 19, 2022. The game will be available to PS Plus Extra and Premium subscribers at no cost
- The Callisto Protocol – Spooky – and gory – sci-fi shenanigans are in store from December 2 on PS4 and PS5.
- Rollerdrome – Roll7’s striking rollerblading combat game will be released on August 16, 2022
- Eternights – A blend of dating and sci-fi action from Studio Sai is due in 2023
- Street Fighter VI – Capcom’s legendary fighting series returns next year
- Tunic – GOTY contender – and current Xbox console exclusive – comes to PlayStation on September 27, 2022
- Season: A Letter to the Future – Due to delivered this autumn
- Final Fantasy XVI – Gameplay and story footage from Creative Business Unit III’s upcoming RPG. It’s due next summer
How did we do?
We hope you found this article useful, or informative, or thought provoking, or maybe even a little entertaining. Perhaps it was a guide that helped you through a tricky bit, or we even saved you some money? Lovely stuff! If you'd like to say "thanks" you could always buy the team a cup of coffee.
Latest from Thumbsticks
Blade Runner: Enhanced Edition is out now on PC and console
The updated version of Westwood Studios' classic Blade Runner game is available now on all platforms.
FIFA 22 and Naraka: Bladepoint are now on Xbox Game Pass
FIFA 22 and Naraka: Bladepoint complete June's impressive Xbox Game Pass lineup.
Reminder: There’s a new Nintendo Direct today
JRPG fans should set their alarms for today's Nintendo Direct broadcast.
Fall Guys is out now on Xbox and Nintendo Switch
Battle Royale platformer Fall Guys is out now – and free to play – on Xbox and Nintendo Switch.
This week’s PlayStation releases (June 20-24, 2022)
This week's lineup of new PlayStation releases is dominated by compilations and remasters of classic video games.
This week’s Xbox releases (June 20-24, 2022)
Fall Guys, The Elder Scrolls, and Sonic the Hedgehog headline this week's lineup of new Xbox releases.
This week’s Nintendo Switch releases (June 20-24, 2022)
Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles: Shredder's Revenge and Neon White headline this week's list of Nintendo Switch eShop releases.
Capcom confirms that Dragon’s Dogma 2 is in development
Capcom has announced that Dragon’s Dogma 2 is now in development.