The latest Nintendo Direct reveals Splatoon 3, The Legend of Zelda: Skyward Sword HD, and Mario Golf Super Rush.
“It’s been a while,” said Shinya Takahashi as he introduced the first Nintendo Direct in over 530 days. Those obsessed enough to be counting might have been disappointed by the broadcast’s lineup, but there was enough on display to suggest that the Switch is going to have another good year.
Highlights included a stunning narrative-focused trailer for Capcom’s Monster Hunter Rise, which is out next month and looks certain to be a hit. We also got confirmation that two indie gems – Fall Guys: Ultimate Knockout and Outer Wilds – are coming to Switch this summer.
Mario’s golfing career also resumes in June with Mario Golf Super Rush. The game looks remarkably straight-laced and, thankfully, includes a story mode. There was no news on the follow-up to Breath of the Wild, but The Legend of Zelda: Skyward Sword HD will come to Switch in July. In addition to a modest visual upgrade, the game has updated motion controls and new button-only controls. It’s a welcome return for an underrated Zelda adventure.
We also got our first look at the latest Square Enix game to use Octopath Traveler‘s 2D-HD graphical engine. Project Triangle Strategy is a tactical RPG due in 2022, but you can download a free demo right now from the Nintendo eShop.
Other announcements include a Switch port of 3DS RPG Miitopia, a new trailer and release date for No More Heroes 3, and a brand new free-to-play Star Wars game.
You can watch the February Nintendo Direct in full at the bottom of the page. Here’s a quick round-up of all the news.
Nintendo Direct February 2021 Announcements
- Super Smash Bros. Ultimate – Pyra/Mythra from Xenoblade Chronicles 2 arrive next month as part of the game’s second Fighters Pass.
- Fall Guys: Ultimate Knockout – Mediatonic’s smash hit will tumble onto the eShop this summer.
- Outer Wilds – Mobius Digital’s terrific sci-fi adventure will touch down on Switch this summer.
- Famicom Detective Club – Two remakes – The Missing Heir and The Girl Who Stands Behind – are out in May.
- Samurai Warriors 5 – It’s 1 vs 1000 Sengoku-style this summer.
- Legend of Mana – A remastered edition of the classic RPG is coming on June 24.
- Monster Hunter Rise – Volvidion and Almudron are among the monsters featured in a new story trailer. The game is out on March 26.
- Mario Golf Super Rush – Mario tees off for the first time on Switch this June.
- Tales from the Borderlands – All five episodes of Telltale’s spin-off are coming on March 24.
- Capcom Arcade Stadium – This arcade compendium is out now and includes the classic 1943 – The Battle of Midway for free. Other games are available as DLC.
- Stubs the Zombie: Rebel without a Pulse – Stumbles onto Switch on March 16.
- No More Heroes 3 – Travis Touchdown takes on alien hordes when the game arrives on August 27.
- Neon White – A first-person action platformer from the creator of Donut County is expected this winter.
- DC Super Hero Girls Teen Power – Kid-friendly superhero shenanigans being on June 4.
- Plants vs Zombies: Battle for Neighborville: Complete Edition – EA’s plant-based shooter comes to Switch on March 19.
- Miitopia – The overlooked Nintendo 3DS RPG gets a Switch port on May 21.
- Animal Crossing: New Horizons – Super Mario Bros themed items – including a Warp Pipe – are coming on March 1.
- Project Triangle Strategy – The latest HD-2D RPG from Square Enix is now in development. It’s out in 2022, and a demo is available now.
- Star Wars Hunters – Free-to-play online third-person shooter announced for 2021 release.
- Knockout City – Character-based action game from Velan Studios coming in May.
- World’s End Club – Released on May 28.
- Hades – A physical version of Hades featuring an art book and soundtrack download is coming to stores on March 19.
- Ninja Gaiden Master Collection – A triple-game bundle featuring Ninja Gaiden Sigma, Ninja Gaiden Sigma 2, and Ninja Gaiden 3: Razor’s Edge is out in June
- Hyrule Warriors: Age of Calamity – Two waves of Expansion Pass content are coming in June and November.
- Bravely Default II – A reminder that the game is out on February 26
- Ghost ‘n Goblins Resurrection – A visually hideous update to an old classic arrives on February 25.
- SaGa Frontier Remastered – A remaster of the classic RPG is out in April.
- Apex Legends – EA’s battle-royale launches on March 9 with cross-platform play.
- The Legend of Zelda: Breath of the Wild Sequel – Eiji Aonuma says to expect news later this year.
- The Legend of Zelda: Skyward Sword HD – An updated version of the 2011 Nintendo Wii hit comes to Switch on July 16 with new features.
- Splatoon 3 – The next entry in Nintendo’s splat ’em up series is in development and due in 2022.