In the modern era, there are two ways to announce a game:
1. Drag the process out for as long as possible, in the hope that will drive demand, including:
- Some sort of tease for a big reveal;
- Spurious leaks;
- The actual reveal, including the following optional elements:
- A Kickstarter campaign;
- Some other campaign… a Thunderclap or something? I dunno. That might not even be real.
- Do the rounds at the expos and conventions;
- Announce a release date;
- Push back the release date;
- Do the rounds at next year’s expos and conventions;
- Push the release date back again;
- Crunch the hell out of your developers;
- Eventually release the game, hoping that you’ve hit the sweet spot of people still being desperate for it/not losing patience with your shit to the point where they no longer desire the game.
2. Have faith in your product, and your audience, and drop the announcement like a hot mic on the stage. Optional:
- Be a complete badass, and also announce the release date up-front;
- Walk away from that explosion of awesomeness;
- Don’t look back – badasses don’t look at explosions.
It’s fair to say that 2K have done the latter. Ladies and gentlemen, we present to you Sid Meier’s Civilization VI, and it’s releasing on October 21, 2016. Oh, and Sean Bean is doing the voiceover.
Boom. Nailed it. 2K out.
Enjoyed this article?
We hope you found it useful, or informative, or thought provoking, or maybe even a little entertaining. Perhaps it was a guide that helped you through a tight spot, or we even saved you some money? Lovely stuff! If you'd like to say "thanks" you could always buy the team a cup of coffee.
Recommended for you
Latest from Thumbsticks
Marvel’s Avengers is now free on PS4, PS5, PC, and Stadia
Square Enix opens up Marvel's Avengers to PlayStation, Steam, and Stadia players for the next three days.
Ori: The Collection bundles both games on one Nintendo Switch cartridge
Iam8bit, the specialist publisher of collector's editions, is bringing Ori: The Collection to Nintendo Switch later this year.
PlayStation Plus gets three games in August 2021
Sony reveals the free video games available to PlayStation Plus subscribers in August 2021.
The Xbox Games with Gold for August 2021 are pretty good
The Xbox Games with Gold lineup for August 2021 includes an underrated sequel and a flawed but fun homage to...
Krispy Kreme developing Nexus Level Doughnut in partnership with Xbox
This Krispy Kreme / Xbox mashup doughnut looks delicious, sure, but why is it called the "Nexus Level" doughnut?
Is Valve’s Steam Deck the perfect gateway to PC gaming?
With a simple and approachable device like the Steam Deck, will PC gaming finally get its hooks into console gamers?
The next Monster Hunter Rise event adds Okami’s Amaterasu
Capcom has announced that the next collaboration event for Monster Hunter Rise will feature Amaterasu from Okami.
This tech demo from Gears of War developer The Coalition is unreal
Unreal Engine 5 running on the Xbox Series X, that is.