Sony’s latest State of Play reveals Final Fantasy VII Remake Intergrade, Five Nights at Freddy’s Security Breach, and gameplay of Kena: Bridge of Spirits.
While many expected the likes of Horizon Forbidden West to show face at the latest State of Play, Sony’s presentation focused on a diverse range of upcoming titles, from Oddworld Soulstorm to Knockout City.
The biggest announcement came in the form of Final Fantasy VII Remake Intergrade, which will act as an enhanced and expanded version of the 2020 remake. Players will also be able to explore Midgar in a brand-new episode, featuring Yuffie as its main character, when it launches on June 10, 2021.
There was plenty of gameplay on display, with glimpses of Returnal, Deathloop, and Kena: Bridge of Spirits, with the latter receiving a pushed back release date of August 24, 2021. Returnal teased its enticing storyline and dark rogue-like gameplay experience, while Deathloop showed off more of its charismatic art style and chaotic power-based carnage. We also got our first look at gameplay for Five Nights at Freddy’s Security Breach along with indie titles Sifu and Solar Ash.
And if all of that wasn’t enough, Sony announced that Crash Bandicoot 4: About Time would run at a native 4K with 60 frames per second on PS5. Ooga Booga, indeed!
If you would like to watch the February State of Play, you can do so at the bottom of the page. However, for those in a hurry, here is a quick round-up of all the news.
PlayStation State of Play – February 2021 announcements
- Crash Bandicoot 4: About Time – With “upgrade options available” PS5 players will now be able to play the PlayStation mascot’s latest outing in 4K 60FPS with enhanced 3D audio and adaptive trigger support when it lands on March 12, 2021.
- Returnal – Resogun developer House Marque showed off more of this dark alien world, teasing its Groundhog Day premise wrapped in the mystery of protagonist Selene. It promises robust combat and a rogue-like experience that will keep players on their toes. Returnal releases on PS5 on April 30, 2021.
- Knockout City – Become the ball itself in this epic dodgeball experience, revealed at this month’s Nintendo Direct. This multiplayer tournament title will be arriving on PS4 and PS5 (via backwards compatibility) on May 21, 2021.
- Sifu – Absolver developers Sloclap revealed a brief first look at its martial arts-based fighting game. Each time the player dies, they respawn older and more experienced, lending to a constant progression in its gameplay loop.
- Solar Ash – Hyper Light developer Heart Machine showed more of its this fast-paced third-person actioner that focuses on the fluidity of movement as you face giant foes.
- Five Nights at Freddy’s: Security Breach – A first look at gameplay for this nerve-wracking stealth experience, which offers up the most expansive FNAF experience yet.
- Oddworld Soulstorm – A 2.9d sequel where players will once again take control of Abe. The game allows for pacifists or violent playthrough, supports haptic feedback, and will arrive free to PS5 PS Plus members on April 6, 2021.
- Kena: Bridge of Spirits – A look at gameplay and cinematics for this gorgeous third-person actioner, which announced its delayed release date of August 24, 2021.
- Deathloop – Yet another look at this stylish shooter from Dishonored developer Arkane Studios. Deathloop currently holds its release date of May 21, 2021.
- Final Fantasy VII Remake Intergrade – An enhanced and expanded version of the 2020 remake with improving lighting, textures, loading times, and more. It also includes a brand-new episode where players will control Yuffie. Intergrade will launch on June 10. It will be free to all players with a copy of FFVII Remake.
How did we do?
We hope you found this article useful, or informative, or thought provoking, or maybe even a little entertaining. Perhaps it was a guide that helped you through a tricky bit, or we even saved you some money? Lovely stuff! If you'd like to say "thanks" you could always buy the team a cup of coffee.
Recommended for you
Latest from Thumbsticks
New PlayStation Store releases: January 17-21, 2022
Here's a quick roundup of this week's brand new PlayStation Store releases for the PS4 and PS5.
Why the ‘Big Box’ Lair of the Clockwork God Collector’s Edition is a big deal
We spoke to Dan Marshall about the Lair of the Clockwork God Collector's Edition, and why indie games getting "Big...
New Nintendo Switch releases – January 17-22, 2022
Shadow Man Remastered and Windjammers 2 headline this week's list of new Nintendo Switch eShop releases.
New Xbox releases – January 17-21, 2022
Rainbow Six Extraction and Nobody Saves the World headline a busy week for new Xbox Series X|S and Xbox One...
Xbox Free Play Days: three more games now free to play
The latest Xbox Free Play Days lineup includes a super Star Wars game, a timely tennis sim, and a wild...
Watch the Rugby 22 gameplay reveal trailer
Ahead of its release later this month, Nacon and Eko Software have released new gameplay footage from Rugby 22.
Far: Changing Tides release date confirmed
Frontier Foundry has confirmed that Far: Changing Tides will come to PC and consoles in March.
GDC Awards nominations led by Deathloop and It Takes Two
Organisers of the Game Developers Choice (GDC) Awards have announced this year's lineup of finalists.