Is Hitman’s Agent 47 a Linux or Mac man, do you think? It’s got to be Linux – the man looks damn good in a Tux.
The 2016 Hitman reboot by Io-Interactive is a bit good, isn’t it?
Yes, publisher Square Enix might not have been happy with the performance (read: monetisation) of the always-connected, Hitman-as-a-service – so much so they looked to sell the studio earlier this year. When they couldn’t find a buyer and the future of the Hitman IP was in doubt, Io-Interactive were let go and allowed to continue as an independent studio. Crucially, they got to keep the Hitman IP with which they’d done such a spectacular job.
But their last Hitman game as a Square Enix shop isn’t quite done yet. Now, thanks to specialist publisher Feral Interactive, Mac and Linux players will get to enjoy the magically-realised environments, bustling locales, and creative methods with which you can render people no longer living.
The Mac and Linux versions of Hitman – Game of the Year edition are exactly the same as their console and PC counterparts, which means they include the following content:
- The complete first season: All six locations – Paris, Sapienza, Marrakech, Bangkok, Colorado and Hokkaido – brimming with irresistible opportunities, devious disguises, both high-tech and improvised weapons, and of course targets to eliminate.
- The Patient Zero mission arc: Four new missions based around a plot to ignite a viral pandemic.
- Three new Escalation mission packs: The Raven Pack, The Cowboy Pack and The Clown Pack each features its own suit, mission, and a killer reward to add to players’ arsenals.
We particularly like the sound of the new Patient Zero mode, and the folks over at Feral Interactive agree.
“The Patient Zero mission arc and the Escalation mission pack offer HITMAN fans compelling and intriguing new ways to enjoy the game. For players yet to immerse themselves in HITMAN’s unique blend of exploration and execution, the Game of the Year Edition release is the perfect opportunity to kickstart their career in undercover assassination.”David Stephen, managing director, Feral Interactive.
And here’s what hardware you’re going to need to run it.
Hitman – Game of the Year Mac system requirements
- All 27″ iMacs released since Late 2014
- All 15″ MacBook Pros released since 2016
- All Mac Pros released since Late 2013
The following Macs are capable of running the game but do not consistently meet the standards required for official support:
- All 15″ MacBook Pros with an AMD graphics card released in 2015
Hitman – Game of the Year Linux system requirements
- Operating System: Ubuntu 16.04, Steam OS 2.0
- Recommended: Ubuntu 16.10, Steam OS 2.0
- CPU: Intel Core i5-2500K, AMD FX-8350 4 GHz
- Recommended: Intel Core i7 3770, 4 GHz
- RAM: 8 GB
- Storage: 81 GB
- Graphics Card: 2 GB Nvidia GTX 680 (Driver version 375.26), 2 GB AMD R9 270X (Driver version – Mesa 13.0.3)
- Recommended: 4 GB Nvidia GTX 970 (Driver version 375.26), 4 GB AMD Radeon R9 290 (Driver version – Mesa 13.0.3)
- Not supported: AMD Radeon HD 4xxx Series, AMD Radeon HD 5xxx Series, AMD Radeon HD 6xxx Series, ATI Radeon HD2xxx Series, ATI X1xxx Series, all Intel cards and all Nvidia cards.
The Hitman – Game of the Year edition is out now on Mac and Linux, in addition to PC, PS4 and Xbox One.