We’ve had some mixed feelings towards Mafia III over the summer events schedule.
While their 1960’s-era booths have been absolutely first-rate, and their sense of pomp and theatre – the Live and Let Die-inspired New Orleans jazz funeral from E3 2016 was absolutely spectacular – the game itself has just been sort of OK-ish. Not bad, but not really living up to its early promise. There’s still time for 2K to turn it around, but after going hands on with it Mafia III was really just a bit of a disappointment.
Thankfully, the same can’t be said of the Mafia III soundtrack, which looks absolutely bloody fantastic. As well as 26 original compositions from OST veterans Jesse Harlin and Jim Bonney, the Mafia III soundtrack is treating us to over 100 licensed tracks, each one bang-on for the time period and perfect for the deep South New Bordeaux atmosphere.
Here’s the full list of licensed tunes from the Mafia III soundtrack:
- ? And The Mysterians: “Ninety-Six Tears”
- The Animals: “We Gotta Get Out Of This Place”
- Aretha Franklin: “Chain of Fools,” “Respect”
- Barry Maguire: “Eve of Destruction”
- Beach Boys: “Help Me, Rhonda,” “Heroes and Villains,” “Wouldn’t It Be Nice”
- Beethoven Ben: “Dance of the Hours”
- Big Brother & The Holding Company: “Piece of My Heart”
- Blue Cheer: “Good Times Are So Hard To Find”
- Bobby Fuller Four: “I Fought The Law”
- Box Tops: “The Letter”
- Canned Heat: “On The Road Again”
- Chambers Brothers: “I Can’t Turn You Loose”
- Clarence Carter: “Slip Away”
- Clifton Chenier: “Ay-Tete-Fee”
- Count Five: “Psychotic Reaction”
- Cream: “White Room”
- Creedence Clearwater Revival: “Proud Mary,” “Fortunate Son,” “Bad Moon Rising,” “Born on the Bayou”
- Del Shannon: “Runaway,” “Keep Searchin’ (We’ll Follow The Sun)”
- Delta Rae: “Bottom of the River”
- Dewey Edwards: “I Let A Good Thing Go By”
- Diana Ross & The Supremes: “Love Child”
- Dusty Springfield: “Son of a Preacher Man”
- Eddie Floyd: “Knock on Wood”
- Elvis: “A Little Less Conversation”
- Etta James: “Don’t Go To Strangers”
- Four Tops: “Reach Out, I’ll Be There”
- Freddie Cannon: “Palisades Park”
- Iron Butterfly: “In A Gadda Da Vida”
- James Brown: “I Got You (I Feel Good)”
- Jefferson Airplane: “Somebody to Love,” “White Rabbit”
- John Lee Hooker: “One Bourbon, One Scotch, One Beer”
- Johnny Cash: “Folsom Prison Blues (Live),” “Ring of Fire”
- Jr. Walker and the All Stars: “Shotgun”
- L.C. Cooke: “Take Me For What I Am”
- Lightnin’ Hopkins: “Black Ghost Blues,” “Sinner’s Prayer,” “The Howling Wolf”
- Lightnin’ Slim: “G.I. Blues”
- Little Richard: “Long Tall Sally”
- Lonnie Youngblood: “Go Go Shoes”
- Martha and the Vendellas: “Nowhere to Run”
- Marvin Gaye: “You”
- Mercy Dee Walton: “Five Card Hand”
- Misfits: “You Belong To Me”
- Mourning Ritual (ft. Peter Dreimanis): “Bad Moon Rising”
- Otis Redding: “Sitting On The Dock Of The Bay,” “Hard To Handle”
- Otis Redding & Carla Thomas: “Tramp”
- Otis Spann: “Must Have Been The Devil”
- Patsy Cline: “Crazy”
- Paul Revere and the Raiders: “Kicks”
- Ramones: “Palisades Park”
- Roger Miller: “King of the Road”
- Roosevelt Sykes: “Hey Big Momma”
- Roy Orbison: “Running Scared”
- Rufus Thomas: “Walking The Dog”
- Sam and Dave: “Hold On, I’m Comin’,” “Soul Man”
- Sam Cooke: “Chain Gang,” “Wonderful World,” “Bring It On Home To Me,” “Another Saturday Night,” “I’m Gonna Forget About You”
- Sam the Sham and the Pharaohs: “Li’l Red Riding Hood”
- Sonny Rhodes: “You Better Stop”
- Status Quo: “Pictures Of Matchstick Men”
- Steppenwolf: “Desperation,” “Born To Be Wild”
- Supremes: “You Keep Me Hangin’ On”
- Temptations: “I Wish It Would Rain”
- The Animals: “House of the Rising Sun”
- The Avengers: “Paint It Black”
- The Band: “The Weight”
- The Chambers Brothers: “Time Has Come Today”
- The Dramatics: “Get Up and Get Down”
- The Duprees: “You Belong To Me”
- The Fun Sons: “Hang Ten”
- The Miracles: “You’ve Really Got A Hold On Me”
- The Rolling Stones: “Mother’s Little Helper,” “Paint It Black,” “Sympathy For The Devil,” “Street Fighting Man,”
- The Searchers: “Take Me For What I’m Worth,” “Needles & Pins”
- The Shadows of Knight: “I Got My Mojo Working”
- The Supremes: “Baby Love”
- The Tams: “What Kind of Fool (Do You Think I Am)”
- The Temptations: “Ain’t Too Proud To Beg”
- The Troggs: “Wild Thing,” “Three Dog Night,” “One”
- Vanilla Fudge: “You Keep Me Hangin’ On”
We don’t know about you, but we think that’s a pretty fine selection of 1960s tunes on the Mafia III soundtrack.
What’s not clear at this point is whether there’ll be a Grand Theft Auto/Fallout style radio or these games will just form part of the overall soundtrack, but either way, the Mafia III soundtrack is a belter.
Header image source: YouTube
We hate to ask, but...
Thumbsticks has a couple of goals. We want to write interesting articles and cover games that most outlets won't, and we want to give opportunities to new writers and new voices. And right now, with the current state of online publishing? It's tough to meet those goals! We hate to ask, but if you want us to continue writing what others won't, or to keep covering weird indie games, or to be able to give opportunities to new writers – and only if you can afford it – then please consider supporting us on Patreon.
Recommended for you
Latest from Thumbsticks
Mortal Kombat franchise sells 73 million units on console
Warner Bros. Games reveals some impressive sales numbers for Mortal Kombat 11 and the franchise as a whole.
New PlayStation Store releases for July 26-30, 2021
The Great Ace Attorney Chronicles and Neo: The World Ends with You headline a busy week of new PlayStation Store releases for...
Nintendo Switch releases for July 26-30, 2021
NEO: The World Ends With You and The Great Ace Attorney Chronicles headline this week's lineup of new Nintendo Switch eShop...
New Xbox releases for July 26-30, 2021
Microsoft Flight Simulator and The Ascent headline the list of new games coming to Xbox Series X|S and Xbox One.
Battlefield 2042 beta set for September
Players can try out Battlefield 2042 this September ahead of an October launch.
Mario Golf: Super Rush review
Mayhem and mushrooms make Mario Golf: Super Rush another multiplayer delight for the Nintendo Switch.
Dead Space, Battlefield Portal and everything else at EA Play Live
Have you got those post-E3 blues? EA Play Live has you covered with a short presentation that packed a punch.
More great games join Xbox Game Pass from today
Microsoft Flight Simulator and Cris Tales are among the games joining Xbox Game Pass this month.