Now you’re playing with cardboard. Nintendo surprise and delight with the reveal of Nintendo Labo, a new range of interactive DIY creations that work with the Nintendo Switch.
Nintendo Labo kits use sheets of pre-scored cardboard that can be assembled into a variety of objects that interact with the Nintendo Switch console and Joy-Con controllers. The new range is specifically aimed at a younger, curious, and creative audience – although, based on the ensuing internet chatter, it also looks like being a big hit with Nintendo die-hards.
The reveal trailer shows Nintendo Labo kits being used to create a fully functioning 13-key piano, motorbike handles, a working fishing rod, and a robot suit.
Nintendo of Europe president, Satoru Shibata, said in a press statement:
“Our goal is to put smiles on the faces of everyone Nintendo touches. Nintendo Labo invites anyone with a creative mind and a playful heart to make, play and discover in new ways with Nintendo Switch. I personally hope to see many people enjoying making kits with their family members, with big smiles on their faces.”
Well, that’s certainly how we felt. It might not be for us, but it’s fantastic to see the Switch used for something so novel and creative. We’re also excited by the possibilities of mods and home-brew kits. And we’re frankly overjoyed that it’s not another range of plastic peripherals to collect.
The first two Nintendo Labo kits will be released on April 20th in North America, and April 27th in Europe. The Variety kit contains five delightful named Toy-Cons, and the Robot kit everything you need to build a fully wearable robot suit.
Nintendo Labo Kit Contents
- Toy-Con RC Car: The Left and Right Joy-Con control the movement of an RC Car using the Switch’s touch screen
- Toy-Con Fishing Rod: A fishing rod with an active, rotating reel attached by string to a cradle holding the Switch
- Toy-Con House: Various blocks slot into openings in the sides and bottom of a House, that can interact with a creature on the front-facing Switch screen
- Toy-Con Motorbike: Each Joy-Con slots into an assembled set of handlebars to drive a motorbike on the Switch screen
- Toy-Con Piano: Use the Nintendo Switch console and Joy-Con to create music and sound effects on a 13-key piano
- Toy-Con Robot: A wearable robot suit with Left and Right Joy-Con slotted into the backpack, and visor to assume control of the robot, which is shown on the TV when the Switch is docked
Nintendo is running a series of Nintendo Labo Workshops in cities across Europe and North America, giving families the chance to try out the kits before release. Head over to the Nintendo Labo website to register your interest.
More from Thumbsticks
- There’s still a couple of days left in the PSN January Sale
- Life is Strange: Before the Storm Episode 3 Review
- New Fable game reportedly in development
How did we do?
We hope you found this article useful, or informative, or thought provoking, or maybe even a little entertaining. Perhaps it was a guide that helped you through a tricky bit, or we even saved you some money? Lovely stuff! If you'd like to say "thanks" you could always buy the team a cup of coffee.
Recommended for you
Latest from Thumbsticks
Xbox deals update: Save on Assassin’s Creed and DC games
This week's Xbox One and Xbox Series X|S deals include the Batman and Assassin's Creed franchises, plus savings on games...
New PlayStation Store releases: October 18-22, 2021
This week's lineup of PlayStation Store releases includes the long-awaited remaster of Toy Soldiers and House of Ashes.
New Xbox releases: October 18-22, 2021
House of Ashes – The Dark Pictures and My Friend Peppa Pig are among this week's new Xbox Series X|S...
New Nintendo Switch releases: October 18-22, 2021
Dying Light and The Caligula Effect 2 are among this week's lineup of new Nintendo Switch eShop releases.
Animal Crossing: New Horizons to get a huge free update and paid DLC
Animal Crossing: New Horizons is getting an enormous free content update and a new paid DLC expansion.
Back 4 Blood review
Back 4 Blood is a rip-roaring zombie killing time, but without the right zombie slayers by your side, it's an...
Batman returns to Rocket League today
Batman returns for this year's Rocket League Haunted Hallows event, which begins today.
New Nintendo Switch releases: October 11-15, 2021 (Updated)
Disco Elysium – The Final Cut and The Good Life are among this week's lineup of new Nintendo Switch eShop...