Persona is a very strange beast. I was going to try and explain what Persona is, but it’s getting late and I frankly don’t have the energy. Here’s what the press release from ATLUS had to say about the forthcoming Persona 5:
Persona 5 is a game about the internal and external conflicts of a group of troubled high school students – the protagonist and a collection of compatriots he meets in the game’s story – who live dual lives as Phantom Thieves. They have the typically ordinary day-to-day of a Tokyo high schooler: attending class, after-school activities, and part-time jobs. But they also undertake fantastical adventures by using otherworldly powers to enter the hearts of people. Their power comes from the Persona, the Jungian concept of the “self”; the game’s heroes realize that society forces people to wear masks to protect their inner vulnerabilities, and by literally ripping off their protective mask and confronting their inner selves do the heroes awaken their inner power, and using it to help those in need. Ultimately, the group of Phantom Thieves seeks to change their day-to-day world to match their perception and see through the masks modern society wears.
Yes, what they said. All caught up? Good. Moving on.
What’s more interesting perhaps is that PlayStation exclusive Persona 5 is receiving a Western launch on Valentine’s Day 2017 – who said romance is dead? – and that it will be launching on both PS4 and PS3. Interesting that at least one new PS3 release will still be happening, almost a year from now, but then Persona 5 was originally planned for a 2015 release when the PS4 was in its infancy and its predecessor was still well-supported.
There will also be some snazzy PS4 limited editions, including:
SteelBook Launch Edition – PlayStation 4 only ($59.99/CA$79.99)
Available only to PS4 pre-orders and a limited number of day-one purchases, while supplies last.
- SteelBook: The PS4 version will come specially packaged in a SteelBook collectible case, emblazoned with Persona 5 designs.
“Take Your Heart” Premium Edition – PlayStation 4 only ($89.99/CA$109.99)
Exclusive to the PS4 version of the game, the premium edition includes the following:
- Soundtrack CD: A selection of music from Persona 5 by legendary series composer Shoji Meguro in a CD wallet featuring P5 artwork.
- 4″ Morgana plush: Morgana the cat is not just the mascot of the Phantom Thieves, but is also a member-and also not just a cat! The premium edition includes an exclusive 4″ plush of Morgana.
- 64-page hardcover art book: This art book is full of concept sketches, character art, and more by character designer Shigenori Soejima.
- SteelBook: As strong as a vault, the game disc for the PS4 will come specially packaged in a SteelBook collectible case, emblazoned with Persona 5 designs.
- School bag: Designed after the traditional school bags in Japan, the exclusive replica bag comes complete with the Shujin Academy crest.
- Collectible outer box: Easily the largest premium edition in ATLUS’ history, the entirety of the “Take Your Heart” Premium Edition comes in a colossal collectible box.
Don’t say it with flowers, or with chocolates; say it with Persona 5.
Special delivery for you
If you want to keep on top of the latest news, features, reviews, guides, and sales, we can send all our latest articles and great content straight to your inbox. You know, collated together, once or twice a week, in a newsletter. We wouldn't send them one at a time – that would be weird and annoying!
Recommended for you
Latest from Thumbsticks
Three great games are free to play on Xbox this weekend.
Xbox Game Pass Ultimate and Xbox Live Gold members can play three new games for free until Sunday.
Here are the Xbox Games with Gold for December
In case you missed it, here are the four games available through Xbox Games with Gold in December 2021.
Pac-Man – Birth of an Icon review
Pac-Man - Birth of an Icon details the meteoric rise of Namco's groundbreaking arcade game in glorious, vivid detail.
13 Sentinels: Aegis Rim Nintendo Switch release date confirmed
13 Sentinels: Aegis Rim, the critically acclaimed strategy adventure game from Vanillaware, will be released for Nintendo Switch in April...
Icarus from DayZ creator Dean Hall is out this week
Icarus is the latest title from Dean Hall's post-DayZ studio. Will it fly too close to the sun like DayZ...
New PlayStation Store releases: November 29 – December 3, 2021
This week's lineup of new PlayStation Store releases for the PS4 and PS5 includes Evil Genius 2: World Domination and Solar...
New Nintendo Switch releases: November 29 – December 3, 2021
Big Brain Academy: Brain vs Brain and Danganronpa Decadence headline this week's lineup of new Nintendo Switch eShop releases.
New Xbox releases: November 29 – December 3, 2021
Upcoming Xbox Series X|S and Xbox One releases include Evil Genius 2: World Domination, Beyond a Steel Sky, and Chorus.