Who said Christmas was a time of giving? If you’re a fan of Planet Coaster it’s all about receiving, and you’ll receive a lot in the free Winter Update.
If you’ve logged onto Steam in the past couple of days, you’ll have seen there’s a free update available for Planet Coaster. Frontier Developments’ theme park simulator was already feature packed and well received, but if this initial content drop is anything to go by, it’s only going to get better.
The Planet Coaster Winter Update went live a few days ago. In it you’ll be able to give three new scenarios a whirl, but there’s a lot more to it than that. For starters there’s over 25 new features – from new rides and coaster blueprints to shops and winter-themed scenery objects – and over three times as many tweaks and fixes to improve the performance and playability of the game.
Here’s the full list of new features in the Planet Coaster Winter Update:
- Collider! The winner of our community poll with 41.57% of the votes – a retro sci-fi ride with 20 swinging gondolas on a horizontal Ferris Wheel that rises to an angle of 87 degrees.
- Bumpin Derby; a long-time favourite has found its way into Planet Coaster! Give a fist bump to these bonkers bumper cars!
- Macro management features added; in the Attraction and Shops tab you can globally set prices, sync shops and open/close attractions.
- There is now an ‘All Staff’ view, which lets you change their salary, training level, roster, and workload all at once!
- You can now also place multiple staff members of the same type simultaneously in your parks!
- Ride/Coaster prestige is now shown on the Info panel and changes with time (initially decreasing and then increasing as the ride gains classic status.) Prestige is also communicated in the form of guest thoughts and notifications.
- A recently used tab has now been added to each browser category.
- A delete path button makes it that it’s easier to change around your pathing!
- Cosmic Cow Ice Cream; get some actual snow cones!
- Gulpee Soda; joining the Gulpee family!
- Missy Good; donut worry, be happy! Missy Good’s sugary goodness will cheer you right up!
- Pipshot; a healthy alternative to the fast food goodness – and there’s three of them! Pipshot Water, Pipshot Juice, and Pipshot Smoothie are going to blow your guests’ minds.
- Pizza Pen; get it while it’s hot and cheesy!
Winter Theme and Scenery Objects
- Snow/Ice Biome; it’s getting chilly in your park! Explore this beautiful Arctic biome in Sandbox or Challenge mode.
- Snow Objects; create realistic snow-covered areas and build your own snowman!
- Gingerbread wall set; we can’t wait to see the creative gingerbread houses you can build in-game!
- Winter Scenery; decorate your park with a lovely Christmas tree or a carolling choir.
- Festive King Coaster is your latest addition to the Entertainer family!
New Transport/Tracked Rides
- Sleigh Ride; jingle all the way with these tracked snowy sliders!
- Iron Horse; a new transport ride for your park visitors to choo around your area.
New Coaster Blueprints
- Screamer (the American Arrow)
- Lycanthrope (Werewolf)
- The Hunt (Pioneer)
- Frenzy (Rage)
- Trailer Blazer (Aethon)
There’s also the aforementioned huge swathe of bug fixes, tweaks and improvements included in the Planet Coaster Winter Update. Head over to the announcement post on the Planet Coaster forums for the full (and damn extensive) list.
Want more neat stuff?
If you want to keep abreast of the latest news, features, reviews, guides, and sales, we can send all our latest articles and great content straight to your inbox. You know, collated together, once or twice a week, in a newsletter. We wouldn't send them one at a time – that would be weird and annoying!
Recommended for you
Latest from Thumbsticks
This tech demo from Gears of War developer The Coalition is unreal
Unreal Engine 5 running on the Xbox Series X, that is.
Xbox Ultimate Game Sale and Deals with Gold Highlights
This week's Xbox One and Xbox Series X|S digital sales features a new Deals with Gold lineup and the Ultimate...
Mortal Kombat franchise sells 73 million units on console
Warner Bros. Games reveals some impressive sales numbers for Mortal Kombat 11 and the franchise as a whole.
New PlayStation Store releases for July 26-30, 2021
The Great Ace Attorney Chronicles and Neo: The World Ends with You headline a busy week of new PlayStation Store releases for...
Nintendo Switch releases for July 26-30, 2021
NEO: The World Ends With You and The Great Ace Attorney Chronicles headline this week's lineup of new Nintendo Switch eShop...
New Xbox releases for July 26-30, 2021
Microsoft Flight Simulator and The Ascent headline the list of new games coming to Xbox Series X|S and Xbox One.
Battlefield 2042 beta set for September
Players can try out Battlefield 2042 this September ahead of an October launch.
Mario Golf: Super Rush review
Mayhem and mushrooms make Mario Golf: Super Rush another multiplayer delight for the Nintendo Switch.