Paradox’s expansive universe is about to get a little bit bigger, with the imminent launch of the Stellaris Leviathans story pack update.
Paradox Interactive, the Swedish developer of PC strategy games, is rather good to you lot. Not only do they tend towards massive games that already represent great value, they also update them. A lot. Some of those updates are even free.
Their latest update, the Stellaris Leviathans story pack, is the first major story add-on for their intergalactic grand strategy. Here’s what’s in it:
- Guardians: Stationary societies that have built defenses throughout a system to protect something of great value. Do you dare seize their treasure?
- Enclaves: Independent outposts of traders or mercenaries who are willing to make a deal. Exchange resources or hire a small fleet to supplement your own.
- War In Heaven: Where will your fledgling empire lie if two ancient Fallen Empires decide to renew old grievances in a War in Heaven? Will you err on the side of caution and take a side with the stronger power, or will you strike at both whilst they are occupied with their own titanic struggle?
The Stellaris Leviathans update will be released on October 20, 2016, and will cost £7.95 / $9.99 US.
The Heinlein patch, a free update for all players that will accompany the Stellaris Leviathans story pack, also brings the following upgrades and features to the core game:
- A convenient auto-explore feature.
- Rally points for your freshly-assembled Navy.
- TheeExpansion planner interface.
- An overhaul of strategic resources.
- Clearer specialisation/role for ship types.
- More options for customising new galaxies.
- New smarter sector governors.
Heinlein, in case you were wondering, is likely named after Robert Anson Heinlein, an American science-fiction writer whose most famous work is probably – sadly – Starship Troopers. It makes sense, following the release of the Asimov update back in June, which was also named after a famed science-fiction writer.
Which famous science-fiction author is next for Stellaris, Paradox? Iain M. Banks?
The Stellaris Leviathans update launches on October 20, 2016. Buy the core game now from Amazon.