Bungie addresses Destiny 2 player outrage with a host of improvements and changes.
It’s fair to say that Destiny 2 has had a rocky launch. Initial sentiment from players was cautiously positive, but it didn’t take long for cracks to appear, and for complaints to surface around the game’s XP system, endgame, and overall economy.
In lieu of a third Twitch livestream focused on Destiny 2’s Curse of Osiris expansion, the Bungie development team – headed by Luke Smith and Chris Barrett – have issued a detailed blog post to address fan concerns, and provide a roadmap for the game’s future.
The team say that they are taking the criticism about lack of communication on board, and will endeavour to be more open in future. Whether or not this will fix every issue remains to be seen, but it’s a positive step.
“Going forward, Destiny 2’s post-launch game systems, features, and updates are being designed specifically to focus on and support players who want Destiny to be their hobby – the game they return to, and a game where friendships are made.”
It’s yet another example of how community feedback plays increasingly important role in the ongoing direction, and development on online games. It’s worth reading the full blog over on the Bungie website for full details of the changes ahead, but here are the top takeaways, in handy bullet-point format:
Upcoming Destiny 2 Updates
- A new Masterworks Weapon Tier
- Improved vendor rewards
- Better incentives for players who completing Prestige activities
- improved rewards and replay value for Strikes, Adventures, and Lost Sectors
- Private matches for the Crucible
- Crucible tuning such as adjusted Supremacy scoring and improved spawning rules
- Incentives for completing Crucible matches, and penalties for quitting competitive games
- Development of Quitter Penalty system
- Additional improvements to Iron Banner and Faction Rallies, including uniqueness of rewards
- Mod economy changes
- Improvements to Exotics, including adjustments to reduce instances of duplication
- Ability to spend Tokens and Legendary Shards on Vendor inventory
- Xur will have new items
- Ability to equip Salty, Spicy Ramen, Six Shooter, and Flip Out emotes all at once
Destiny 2 XP Mechanics
Changes to the game’s controversial XP system are also in the works:
“We already see that the newly adjusted 160K XP per level value means that leveling is too slow for some activities, and we have begun the process of collecting data and recalibrating XP earn rates to improve them as quickly as possible.”