Another day, another amiibo.
It’s easy to be cynical about Nintendo’s ever growing list of amiibo figures.
The Super Smash Bros release roster was impressive enough, but in less than a year Nintendo have also added Super Mario variants, Splatoon characters, Yarn Yoshis, gold/silver Marios, the recently announced Mega Yarn Yoshi and the forthcoming Super Mario Maker figure.
It’s enough to make a man-child weep.
Not only is it ever-so slightly embarrassing to admit you like amiibos, the rigmarole you have to endure to actually buy them is pretty humiliating too.
We really should just walk away. But Nintendo knows us too well…
Introducing the Shovel Knight amiibo.
Yacht Club’s jumping, pummelling hero is soon to be made into yet another super-cute
figure model doll.
As the announcement video reveals, the Shovel Knight amiibo will be compatible with both the Wii U and 3DS versions of the game, and other forthcoming titles from Yacht Club.
On both 3DS and Wii U the amiibo will unlock challenge stages and customisable gear. However the best feature is a Wii U exclusive – a two-player co-op mode.
Although this looks like wonderful and extremely welcome addition to the game, it’s a little disappointing to see it effectively paywalled behind an item that will no doubt be hard to find.
The Shovel Knight amiibo will allegedly make it to stores n 27th November 2015.
Full list of Shovel Knight amiibo features
Cooperative Multiplayer (exclusive to Wii U)
- Join a friend’s Shovel Knight campaign and shovel together
- Use new cooperative moves
- Level up by defeating enemies and finding treasure
- Earn all-new relics, abilities, and powers
- Customize the look of your Shovel Knight
- Use your custom amiibo seamlessly between 3DS and Wii U!
Exclusive Challenge Stages!
- Battle your way through amiibo exclusive challenge stages that take advantage of the new amiibo relics and abilities