In a nice twist, BAFTA awarded What Remains of Edith Finch best game at last night’s awards.
Hellblade: Senua’s Sacrifice also won big, sweeping up five awards. It was an awards ceremony that seemed intent on rewarding intimidate narrative, and unique storytelling.
The Legend of Zelda: Breath of the Wild, notched one award under its belt: Game Innovation. Zelda won game of the year at The Game Awards.
The year’s other Nintendo giant, Super Mario Odyssey, won two awards: Game Design and Best Family Game.
Horizon Zero Dawn won for best Original Property, while Cuphead won the award for best music.
The full list of winners is as follows:
British Academy Games Awards Winners
- Best Game: What Remains of Edith Finch
- Original Property: Horizon Zero Dawn
- Music: Cuphead
- Game Design: Super Mario Odyssey
- Evolving Game: Overwatch
- Narrative: Night In The Woods
- Game Beyond Entertainment: Hellblade: Senua’s Sacrifice
- Debut Game: Gorogoa
- Family: Super Mario Odyssey
- Mobile Game: Golf Clash
- Artistic Achievement: Hellblade: Senua’s Sacrifice
- Multiplayer: Divinity: Original Sin 2
- Audio Achievement: Hellblade: Senua’s Sacrifice
- Game Innovation: The Legend of Zelda: Breath of the Wild
- British Game: Hellblade: Senua’s Sacrifice
- Performer: Melina Juergens as Senua in Hellblade: Senua’s Sacrifice