Here’s the full list of everything announced during the September 2019 Nintendo Direct.
Were you hoping for some Nintendo 3DS announcements during the September 2019 Nintendo Direct? Well, you’re out of luck. This one was all about the Nintendo Switch and its glut of upcoming games.
There were rumoured games that turned out to be real. There was confirmation on the theory that an FCC filing for a SNES controller meant classic SNES games would be coming to Nintendo Switch Online. There were extra glimpses of upcoming releases like Luigi’s Mansion 3 and Link’s Awakening.
There was, as is customary, far too much pomp around Smash Bros. Ultimate and its ever-expanding roster of fighters. (We’re trying our best to care, honest.) Far more interesting was a deep dive into Tom Nook’s island getaway in Animal Crossing New Horizons, and the reveal of the Xenoblade Chronicles Definitive Edition. The biggest shock of all was probably Deadly Premonition 2. We’re not really sure we needed the first Deadly Premonition on Switch, but come next year, there’s going to be two of them. Two! What a world we live in.
There were also nice surprises in the shape of Return of the Obra Dinn, Jedi Knight 2: Jedi Outcast, and a huge chunk of games from Focus Home Interactive. Oh, and they showed off more footage from The Witcher 3. Presumably, because Nintendo’s just so chuffed to have such a high-profile, AAA behemoth running on their wimpy little handheld. All joking aside, it is seriously impressive.
Here’s the full list of announcements from the September 2019 Nintendo Direct.
- Overwatch – Surprising nobody, Blizzard’s character shooter comes to Nintendo Switch on October 15
- Luigi’s Mansion 3 – A glimpse at the hotel’s differently-themed floors, and the new multiplayer Scream Park mode
- Super Kirby Clash – A brand new, free to start Kirby game, available now
- Trials of Mana Remake – The full 3D remake of Square Enix classic, coming April 24, 2020
- Return of the Obra Dinn – Lukas Pope’s brilliant detective game comes to Nintendo Switch in autumn 2019
- Little Town Hero – The new RPG from Pokemon creator Game Freak, releases October 16
- Smash Bros. Ultimate – Banjo-Kazooie are available to play now; Fatal Fury’s Terry Bogard coming later in 2019; Nintendo adding more DLC fighters after the current raft
- Link’s Awakening – No new info here, but Amiibo support shown for the Chamber Dungeon creation mode
- Dragon Quest XI – There’s a free demo coming for this massive RPG
- Tokyo Mirage Sessions: FE Encore – Comes to Nintendo Switch January 17, 2020
- Deadly Premonition 2: A Blessing in Disguise – Swery surprised everyone with this announcement, coming in 2020
- Deadly Premonition: Origins – The first Deadly Premonition game is available now
- Divinity: Original Sin 2 – Larian’s brilliant RPG is out on Nintendo Switch now, features Steam cross-save support
- Doom 64 – Will be available for the first time since its original 1997 release, coming to Switch on November 22
- Rogue Company – A new action shooter from Hi-rez , available 2020
- Pokemon Sword and Shield – We got a look at customising your trainer’s look; Pokemon camp is a fun hangout for you, your friends, and your Pokemon; cook curry on rice with 100 different recipes for different stat boosts; new Pokemon including Polteageist, a ghost in a teacup, and Cramorant, a big, hangry seabird
- Classic SNES games – Coming to Nintendo Switch Online membership subscribers
- SNES controllers – Available to purchase for Nintendo Switch Online subscribers only, will cost $29.99 US
- Tetris 99 – Receiving a new mode only available to players who have a victory in the main battle royale mode
- Mario and Sonic at the Olympic Games – Includes 10 retro-style events set during the Tokyo 1964 Olympics, releases November 5
- Daemon x Machina – A prologue demo is available now, 4-player co-op, local wireless or online, releases September 13
- Star Wars: Jedi Knight 2: Jedi Outcast – Kyle Katarn makes his Nintendo Switch debut on September 24
- The Witcher 3 – Some new footage but… that’s about it; releases October 15
- Assassin’s Creed Rebel’s Collection – This Nintendo Switch exclusive brings Black Flag and Rogue to Switch on December 6
- Dauntless – Cross-play confirmed for all platforms,
- Just Dance 2020 – Hits the floor November 5
- Grid Autosport – On the starting grid September 19
- Farming Simulator 20 – Ready for harvest on December 3
- Ni no Kuni: Wrath of the White Witch – Launches September 20
- NBA 2K20 – Tips off September 6
- Call of Cthulhu – Releases October 8
- The Outer Worlds – No release date yet, just “coming soon” (the PC, PS4 and Xbox One release is in October)
- Devil May Cry 2 – Launches September 19
- Vampyr – Releases October 29
- Animal Crossing New Horizons – A new informational video from Tom Nook called “Welcome to island life” showing off the new features, environments
- Xenoblade Chronicles Definitive Edition – Looks like a major visual update to Monolith Soft’s classic Wii RPG, coming to Nintendo Switch in 2020
If you want to watch the video presentation in full, you can find it on Nintendo’s YouTube channel. But you know, we’ve just listed it all for you there. We literally saved you 40 minutes. It’s fine; watch it if you like. We just think it’s a bit weird is all.
Enjoyed this article?
We hope you found it useful, or informative, or thought provoking, or maybe even a little entertaining. Perhaps it was a guide that helped you through a tight spot, or we even saved you some money? Lovely stuff! If you'd like to say "thanks" you could always buy the team a cup of coffee.
Recommended for you
Latest from Thumbsticks
Aliens: Fireteam Elite release date and trailer revealed
Cold Iron Studios has confirmed a release date for upcoming third-person survival shooter Aliens: Fireteam Elite.
Save up to 60% in the PlayStation Store Mid-Year sale
Outriders and Crash Bandicoot 4 are among the games on sale in the new PlayStation Store Mid-Year Deals promotion.
Investigate the new Great Ace Attorney Chronicles gameplay trailer
A new trailer from Capcom showcases some of the new gameplay mechanics featured in The Great Ace Attorney Chronicles.
Save up to 90% with these new Xbox digital game deals
This week's Xbox discounts include a Ubisoft publisher sale and a new crop of Deals with Gold.
The award for most tweeted about game at E3 2021 goes to…
The latest gaming insights update from Twitter reveals which game at E3 2021 generated the most conversation.
Star Wars: Vader Immortal physical edition is out now on PSVR with exclusive extras
The Vader Immortal special retail edition includes all three episodes and a bundle of exclusive extras.
Super Monkey Ball Banana Mania 20th Anniversary Edition detailed
Sega has confirmed details of the Super Monkey Ball Banana Mania 20th Anniversary Edition and Digital Deluxe Edition.
New Nintendo Switch releases (June 21-25, 2021)
Mario Golf: Super Rush and Tony Hawk’s Pro Skater 1 + 2 top this week’s lineup of new Nintendo Switch eShop releases.