Remember when PS4’s walled garden approach to cross-play effectively ruined Fortnite Battle Royale for anyone who also wanted to play on Nintendo Switch?
Fortnite surprise-launched for Nintendo Switch at E3 2018.
None were more disappointed than the tens of thousands of press and games industry professionals who, having travelled to E3 with their Nintendo Switch in tow, found they couldn’t actually access all their Epic Account goodies – including cosmetics and Vbucks – if they’d ever played on PS4. Ever.
Players who had accessed their Epic Account on Windows, Xbox One or mobile, however, weren’t impacted.
We don’t want to overstate the clout of Epic Games and their little battle royale game that could, but this effectively kicked into gear a change within PlayStation that is ushering in cross-play. That’s quite a good news story on the back of Fortnite.
Cross-play was back on the table, but the fact people had multiple Epic Accounts became a new issue.
Then Epic rode to the rescue again, announcing the Fortnite account merge tool. This tool promised to allow players to reclaim and reunite all of their goodies that were strewn between multiple accounts.
There are some caveats and conditions to the Fortnite account merge tool, however, that you’ll want to read before you begin.
- One account must have played on Xbox One or Switch and the other on PS4 before September 28th 2018 to be eligible.
- Your account must not currently be banned or disabled.
- In-game items and Vbucks will be held for two weeks before they’re merged to your primary account.
- You’ll need access to all email addresses that are associated with accounts you wish to merge
- If you have duplicate 3rd party login like Facebook on both your Primary and Secondary account, the Secondary login will be unlinked. You can unlink it prior to merging.
- Battle Royale will allow you to merge all cosmetic items. Save the World will allow you to merge Llamas, Defenders, Heroes, Schematics, Survivors, XP, Evolution and Perk Materials.
- Other Items such as Unreal Marketplace items, Creative Islands, and Save The World account level and progress will not be merged over from your secondary account
[Emphasis in those terms and conditions is Epic’s, not ours, but we thought it useful to preserve it – Overuse of Bold Editor]
You can access the Fortnite account merge tool now on the Epic Games website.
We hate to ask, but global advertising revenues are the lowest they've ever been. It's killing the online publishing world. If you like what we do and want to support free, quality games writing, then please consider supporting us via Patreon, buying us a coffee, or subscribing to our newsletter.
Recommended for you
Hellblade dev Ninja Theory announces Project: Mara
Descenders is getting a physical release on PS4, Nintendo Switch
Xbox Game Pass adds four more games this month
Final Trials of Mana characters revealed in new trailer
The 20 most anticipated video games of 2020
Is Dragon Ball Z: Kakarot worth playing?
Valve is making Half-Life free
Temtem’s launch trailer leans hard into its influences
Support Thumbsticks on Patreon, for as low as $1 a month, and you'll get a login to a speedy, ad-free version of the site.