Remember when PS4’s walled garden approach to cross-play effectively ruined Fortnite Battle Royale for anyone who also wanted to play on Nintendo Switch?
Fortnite surprise-launched for Nintendo Switch at E3 2018.
None were more disappointed than the tens of thousands of press and games industry professionals who, having travelled to E3 with their Nintendo Switch in tow, found they couldn’t actually access all their Epic Account goodies – including cosmetics and Vbucks – if they’d ever played on PS4. Ever.
Players who had accessed their Epic Account on Windows, Xbox One or mobile, however, weren’t impacted.
We don’t want to overstate the clout of Epic Games and their little battle royale game that could, but this effectively kicked into gear a change within PlayStation that is ushering in cross-play. That’s quite a good news story on the back of Fortnite.
Cross-play was back on the table, but the fact people had multiple Epic Accounts became a new issue.
Then Epic rode to the rescue again, announcing the Fortnite account merge tool. This tool promised to allow players to reclaim and reunite all of their goodies that were strewn between multiple accounts.
There are some caveats and conditions to the Fortnite account merge tool, however, that you’ll want to read before you begin.
- One account must have played on Xbox One or Switch and the other on PS4 before September 28th 2018 to be eligible.
- Your account must not currently be banned or disabled.
- In-game items and Vbucks will be held for two weeks before they’re merged to your primary account.
- You’ll need access to all email addresses that are associated with accounts you wish to merge
- If you have duplicate 3rd party login like Facebook on both your Primary and Secondary account, the Secondary login will be unlinked. You can unlink it prior to merging.
- Battle Royale will allow you to merge all cosmetic items. Save the World will allow you to merge Llamas, Defenders, Heroes, Schematics, Survivors, XP, Evolution and Perk Materials.
- Other Items such as Unreal Marketplace items, Creative Islands, and Save The World account level and progress will not be merged over from your secondary account
[Emphasis in those terms and conditions is Epic’s, not ours, but we thought it useful to preserve it – Overuse of Bold Editor]
You can access the Fortnite account merge tool now on the Epic Games website.
Want more neat stuff?
If you want to keep abreast of the latest news, features, reviews, guides, and sales, we can send all our latest articles and great content straight to your inbox. You know, collated together, once or twice a week, in a newsletter. We wouldn't send them one at a time – that would be weird and annoying!
Recommended for you
Latest from Thumbsticks
Deltarune Chapter 2 release date revealed by Toby Fox
Deltarune Chapter 2 is almost upon us. We don't need to tell you to "please be excited" for this one.
Surreal web cartoon Tux and Fanny makes for a sublime video game
In one day I went from not knowing a thing about Tux and Fanny to proclaiming it the best video...
Battlefield 2042 release date bumped to November
Electronic Arts has confirmed that the upcoming military shooter Battlefield 2042 will be released one month later than planned. EA says...
The developers want you to break Age of Empires IV this weekend
After a number of balloted tests, the floodgates will open for a limited-time, unrestricted stress test for Age of Empires...
The PlayStation Store Double Discounts sale returns
PS Plus members get double discounts on PS4 and PS5 games in the latest PlayStation Store video game sale.
Latest Nintendo Switch update adds support for Bluetooth headphones
It's taken a long time, but you can now use your Bluetooth headphones with your Nintendo Switch.
More super games join Xbox Game Pass from today
SkateBird, Sable, and Subnautica: Below Zero are among the games coming to Xbox Game Pass before the end of September 2021.
Save on next-gen optimised games in this week’s new Xbox sales
This week's digital sales include discounts on Xbox Game Studios titles and Xbox Series X|S optimised releases.