It’s Gamescom Opening Night Live 2020! Here’s (almost) everything announced on the show.
After a long, stressful few months, we finally said farewell to Geoff Keighley’s Summer Game Fest with Gamescom Opening Night Live.
This year’s all-digital show was rather tedious at times. It opened with a look at upcoming FPS, Call of Duty: Black Ops – Cold War (Basically, a long cutscene of urgent men talking urgently to President Ronald Reagan) and also included an insomnia-curing preview of a new World of Warcraft cartoon. The stream was also of poor quality, with lag completely ruining the announcement of some new Warhammer game, the Ratchet & Clank: Rift Apart demo, and a comedy skit involving Crash Bandicoot.
That said, a few new game announcements livened things up a bit. Bridge Constructor: The Walking Dead, a new VR Sam & Max game, and Little Nightmares II were among the world premiere reveals. Teardown – a break-it-down and build-it-up again heist game – also looked super cool.
Here’s our (admittedly weary) rundown of everything announced on
Geoffcom Gamescom Opening Night Live 2020.
Gamescom Opening Night Live 2020 announcements
- Jurassic World Evolution – Frontier’s dino-management sim is coming to Nintendo Switch on November 23.
- Call of Duty: Black Ops – Cold War – A sneak peek of the upcoming sequel to the original Codblops. Players can look forward to choice in character creation and story, which is rewarded with multiple campaign endings and Ronald Reagan.
- Unknown 9 Awakening – A new India-set adventure from Reflector Entertainment is coming to PC, Xbox Series X, and PS5.
- Doom Eternal – The Ancient Gods Part 1 expansion drops on October 20, 2020.
- Next-gen Dragon Age – Social distanced Bioware developers sit in a forest and express their excitement for creating the next Dragon Age. The concept art certainly looks nice.
- Surgeon Simulator 2 – Christopher Lloyd pops his Zoom cherry to promote the instant release of Bossa Studio’s latest carve ’em up.
- Bridge Constructor: The Walking Dead – Coming from Headup Games later in 2020.
- Sam & Max – Sam & Max are returning (yay!) in a new VR game (oh).
- World of Warcraft: Shadowlands – A (long) look at Bastion, the first in the Afterlife series of animated WoW shorts. The Shadowlands expansion is released on October 27.
- Warhammer – Who knows? The stream was screwed and we’re not checking back.
- Crash Bandicoot – Ditto.
- Teardown – The debut of an impressive new indie game that looks like a cross between Minecraft and Hitman. And that’s no bad thing at all.
- Little Nightmares II – Tarsier Studio’s spooky sequel is sneaking onto console and PC in February 2021. The II is for two players.
- WWE2K Battlegrounds – We’re not going to talk about this game. Ever.
- Star Wars Squadrons – A closer look at some single-player mission content. And, most importantly, Wedge Antilles.
- The Sims 4: Star Wars – Journey to Baatu – Make a home in a galaxy far, far away in the latest expansion for The Sims 4. Released on September 8.
- 12 Minutes – The Annapurna-published interactive thriller adds James McAvoy, Daisy Ridley, and Willem Defoe to its impressive cast list. Fancy.
- Godfall – 12 seconds of new (we think) footage from the upcoming PS5 game. Activate shrug mode.
- Mafia: Definitive Edition – Another trailer for the upcoming ground-up remake.
- Lemnis Gate – New gameplay for the timey-wimey tactical shooter coming to PC and console in early 2021.
- Lego Star Wars: The Skywalker Saga – A fun, Force-filled gameplay trailer. Will be stong in Spring 2021.
- Struggling – A trailer for Frontier’s new physics-based platformer which is out now on Nintendo Switch.
- Struggling – Also sums up how we’re feeling.
- Age of Empires III: Definitive Edition – A classic is reborn – well, remade – on October 15
- Chorus – A gameplay debut for the upcoming sci-fi shooter from Deep Silver and Fish Labs.
- Note to readers – It’s 90 minutes into the show and we’re really starting to flag.
- Fall Guys: Ultimate Knockout – Season 2 will bring new medieval-themed courses and costumes to Mediatonic’s smash hit game.
- Medal of Honor: Above and Beyond – Vince Zampella wears a cap and introduces new footage from Respawn Entertainment’s World War II virtual reality shooter.
- Spellbreak – A trailer for the free-to-play action spellcasting game which is now dated for September 3.
- Turrican – Factor 5 returns with a 30th-anniversary edition of the 1990 action classic.
- Destiny 2: Beyond Light – The dark power of stasis is coming. Or is it that dark power of Stacy’s? We couldn’t tell. We’ll find out in November.
- Ratchet & Clank: Rift Apart – PS5. Gameplay. Hard drive. Tickled palms. Looks alright.
You can watch the full two-hour show again, right here.
The show also included trailers for Outriders, Hyperscape, Necromunda Underhive Wars, Override 2, and Wasteland 3.
OK, we’re done. Night, Geoff.
We have a favour to ask
Thumbsticks has a couple of main aims. We want to write interesting articles and cover games that most outlets won't, and we want to give opportunities to new writers and new voices. And right now, with the current state of online publishing? It's tough! We hate to ask, but if you want us to continue writing what others won't, or to keep covering weird indie games, or to be able to give opportunities to new writers – and only if you can afford it – then please consider supporting us on Patreon.
Recommended for you
Latest from Thumbsticks
Following years of crunch, Lego Star Wars: The Skywalker Saga gets a release date
Warner Bros. Games confirms the release date for Lego Star Wars: The Skywalker Saga amid reports of crunch at developer TT...
Nintendo Switch Online: The big list of NES, SNES, N64 and Genesis games
Nintendo Switch Online includes access to a growing library of classic NES, SNES, N64, and Sega Genesis games. Here’s the...
One of last year’s very best games is coming to Xbox Game Pass
Death's Door, Rainbow Six Extraction and Windjammers 2 are among this month's second wave of Xbox Game Pass titles.
Among Us 2022 roadmap includes Friends List feature
Innersloth has outlined this year's content and development roadmap for Among Us.
New PlayStation Store releases: January 17-21, 2022
Here's a quick roundup of this week's brand new PlayStation Store releases for the PS4 and PS5.
Why the ‘Big Box’ Lair of the Clockwork God Collector’s Edition is a big deal
We spoke to Dan Marshall about the Lair of the Clockwork God Collector's Edition, and why indie games getting "Big...
New Nintendo Switch releases – January 17-22, 2022
Shadow Man Remastered and Windjammers 2 headline this week's list of new Nintendo Switch eShop releases.
New Xbox releases – January 17-21, 2022
Rainbow Six Extraction and Nobody Saves the World headline a busy week for new Xbox Series X|S and Xbox One...