Shovel Knight developer Yacht Club Games has revealed that Mina the Hollower is now in development.
Mina the Hollower is a new top-down action-adventure that takes aesthetic cues from the Game Boy Color classics of the 1990s, albeit displayed in widescreen and at 60fps.
The influence of The Legend of Zelda: Link’s Awakening is immediately evident, but Yacht Club also cite Castlevania and Bloodborne as touchstones.
Here’s how the studio describes Mina the Hollower:
Descend into a frightful world of action-adventure in Mina the Hollower. Take control of Mina, a renowned Hollower hurtled into a desperate mission to rescue a cursed island. Burrow beneath hazards and monsters, whip foes into oblivion, and gear up with an arsenal of sidearms and trinkets.
Explore a vast world filled with pixel-perfect graphics, masterful gameplay, beastly bosses, and infectious music. Encounter a cast of bizarre characters, search out secrets in an array of exotic locales, and illuminate the omnipresent darkness in Mina the Hollower, a brand new game from the developers who brought you Shovel Knight!
- Hauntingly authentic 8-bit visuals in the style of Game Boy Color, refined for the modern era.
- Modern touches abound: detailed animation, widescreen visuals, and rock-solid controls!
- Leap, dodge, and burrow through the ground to battle monsters or navigate the world.
- Lash at foes with your trusty whip, Nightstar- or choose from an arsenal of weapons, each with a totally different moveset.
- Discover and utilize a reliquary’s worth of unusual Sidearms to gain the advantage in combat.
- Collect and equip Trinkets to acquire a variety of exotic effects. Level Mina up to suit your unique playstyle.
- Electrifying MSX-style soundtrack by chiptune virtuoso Jake Kaufman.
- Descend into the depths of madness with a bone-chilling yet heartwarming tale inspired by Victorian Gothic horror.
- Explore a huge, dark world brimming with secrets, challenging battles, and interconnected level design.
Despite Yacht Club’s success with Shovel Knight, the studio is again turning to Kickstarter to raise development funds and grow the game’s fan community. Backer rewards include everything from digital wallpapers to helping direct elements of the adventure itself.
Mina the Hollower Announcement Trailer
Mina the Hollower will be released on PC and console.
Enjoyed this article?
We hope you found it useful, or informative, or thought provoking, or maybe even a little entertaining. Perhaps it was a guide that helped you through a tight spot, or we even saved you some money? Lovely stuff! If you'd like to say "thanks" you could always buy the team a cup of coffee.
Latest from Thumbsticks
PlayStation’s massive annual Days of Play sale is now on
There are big savings to be had on first- and third-party PlayStation games, and the PS5's DualSense controllers receive a...
Homebody is a new horror from the developer of Dream Daddy
Things are taking a weird turn at Game Grumps, developer of 2017's surprise hit Dream Daddy. This is Homebody.
This week’s PlayStation releases (May 23-27, 2022)
Sniper Elite 5 and Roller Champions headline this week's lineup of new PlayStation releases.
This week’s Nintendo Switch releases (May 23-27, 2022)
Kao the Kangaroo and Pac-Man are among the lineup of new Nintendo Switch releases this week.
This week’s Xbox releases (May 23-27, 2022)
My Little Pony, Kao the Kangaroo, and Pac-Man headline this week's new Xbox releases. Oh, and Sniper Elite 5.
The May 2022 Epic Games Store Mega Sale is now live
There are big savings (and also those discount coupons) available in the May 2022 Epic Games Store Mega Sale.
Latest Kao the Kangaroo trailer shows off the game’s enemies
Kao the Kangaroo's release is just around the corner, so here's a closer look at the character platformer's enemies and...
Release date revealed for Roller Champions
Roller Champions, Ubisoft's free-to-play roller derby game, releases next week.