Today’s Nintendo Direct reveals new games, and release dates for Splatoon 2, ARMS and Hey Pikmin!
Tonight’s Nintendo Direct broadcast – which was introduced by Yoshi Koizumi – was full to the brim with announcements. Although mainly focused on software for the Nintendo Switch, the humble 3DS also received a stack of B-tier game announcements that should see the console though to the end of 2017. The pick of the bunch looks to be Hey Pikmin!, but we’re also pleased to see that Mii-centric RPG, Miitopia, will finally get a Western release.
In terms of Switch news, there was new plenty of new gameplay footage from ARMS. The colourful fighter is looking much more evolved, and highlights included a fight in a giant Raman bowl between Spring Man, and the noodle-armed, Minmin. It looks absolutely bonkers, but also a lot of fun. The game will be released on June 16. 2017.
The other big news was confirmation of Splatoon 2‘s July release date. There was still no word of a single-player campaign, but the game does includes new horde mode called Salmon Run.
You can re-watch the broadcast on the Nintendo website. Here’s the full round-up of announcements:
Nintendo Direct Announcements – April 12, 2017
- ARMS – Released on June 16
- Splatoon 2 – Released on July 21
- Neon Yellow Joy-Cons – Released on June 16
- Joy-Con AA Battery Pack – Released on June 16
- Minecraft – Coming to Switch eShop on May 12 along with the Super Mario Mash-Up Pack
- Sonic Forces – Confirmed for winter 2017
- Sonic Mania – Confirmed, again, for summer 2017
- Project Mekeru – Panel flipping action puzzle game coming this summer
- Fate/EXTELLA: The Umbral Star – Released on July 21
- Disgaea 5 Complete – Released on May 26
- Samurai Shodown IV – now available on the Switch eShop
- Puyo Puyo Tetris – Demo out now on the Switch eShop
- Monopoly – The classic board comes to the eShop this Autumn
- Rayman Legends Definitive Edition – Coming in 2017
- Sine Mora EX – Released this summer
- Battle Chasers Nightwar – A new RPG coming late summer
- PayDay 2 – Starbreeze’s heist game announced for release later this year
- Namco Museum – Pac-man and friends arrive this summer
- Hey Pikmin! – Released on July 28, with a new Pikmin amiibo
- Team Kirby Clash Deluxe – Coming to Nintendo eShop today
- Kirby’s Blowout Blast – Announced for summer
- Untitled Kirby multiplayer action game – Coming to 3DS eShop this winter
- RPG Ever Oasis – Released on June 23
- Monster Hunter Stories – Confirmed for autumn release
- Yokai Watch 2 – Crank-a-kai coin set available in-game until June 2
- Culdsept Revolt – Released September 21
- Dr Kawashima Devilish Brain Training – Released July 28
- RPG Maker Fes – Released on June 23 along with a free demo
- Miitopia – Confirmed for 2017
- Fire Emblem Echoes Shadow of Valentia – Season Pass and Free DLC announced
- Two variants of the final three Smash Bros amiibo – Cloud, Corin and Bayonetta – released on July 21
- Three new classic Legend of Zelda series Link amiibos – released on June 23
- Three new Splatoon 2 amiibos – released on July 21
Want more neat stuff?
If you want to keep abreast of the latest news, features, reviews, guides, and sales, we can send all our latest articles and great content straight to your inbox. You know, collated together, once or twice a week, in a newsletter. We wouldn't send them one at a time – that would be weird and annoying!
Recommended for you
Latest from Thumbsticks
Marvel’s Avengers is now free on PS4, PS5, PC, and Stadia
Square Enix opens up Marvel's Avengers to PlayStation, Steam, and Stadia players for the next three days.
Ori: The Collection bundles both games on one Nintendo Switch cartridge
Iam8bit, the specialist publisher of collector's editions, is bringing Ori: The Collection to Nintendo Switch later this year.
PlayStation Plus gets three games in August 2021
Sony reveals the free video games available to PlayStation Plus subscribers in August 2021.
The Xbox Games with Gold for August 2021 are pretty good
The Xbox Games with Gold lineup for August 2021 includes an underrated sequel and a flawed but fun homage to...
Krispy Kreme developing Nexus Level Doughnut in partnership with Xbox
This Krispy Kreme / Xbox mashup doughnut looks delicious, sure, but why is it called the "Nexus Level" doughnut?
Is Valve’s Steam Deck the perfect gateway to PC gaming?
With a simple and approachable device like the Steam Deck, will PC gaming finally get its hooks into console gamers?
The next Monster Hunter Rise event adds Okami’s Amaterasu
Capcom has announced that the next collaboration event for Monster Hunter Rise will feature Amaterasu from Okami.
This tech demo from Gears of War developer The Coalition is unreal
Unreal Engine 5 running on the Xbox Series X, that is.