The next big PlayStation 4 system software update – version 4.50 – is released today.
Codenamed SASUKE, the PS4 system software update introduces a number of features that have been long requested by PlayStation owners. Top of the list is external HDD support, a much-needed for players who prefer to buy digital copies of their games.
Compatible hard-drives need to be USB 3.0 compliant, and there’s an 8TB size limit, but that should be more than enough for even the most dedicated downloader.
The software update also introduces 3D Blu-Ray support for PS VR, custom wallpaper functionality and a range of new Activity sharing controls.
Here’s a summary of the new features included in PS4 system software update 4.50:
- External HDD – supports compatible HDDs up to 8TB
- PS VR social screen – Improved resolution on TV ‘Social Screen’ when you’re out of VR mode
- PS VR Cinematic mode – if your screen size is set to Small or Medium, the frame rate increases from 90Hz to 120Hz
- 3D Blu Ray Support – Watch Blu-ray 3D discs using PS VR
- Voice chat for Remote Play – Voice chat when using Remote Play on PC, Mac, or Xperia devices
- Off-console availability – Displays a smartphone icon to show that you are logged into PSN but away from your console.
- Custom wallpaper & profile colour – pick a picture, any picture
- Activity sharing – Improved Activity Feed sharing options
- Activity feed privacy – change the privacy settings for individual posts
- Save Data Shortcut – press the Options button on game icon to access Upload/Download Saved Data
- Capture Gallery into SHAREfactory – press Options to go straight into SHAREfactory from a screenshot
- GIF support – share GIFs from SHAREfactory to your Activity Feed
- Boost mode (PS4 Pro only) – provides frame rate boosts and stability, may also improve load times
- PS Messages app – new invitation and quick reply features.