In case you missed it, here’s everything announced on yesterday’s blockbuster Super Mario Bros. 35th Anniversary Direct.
Nintendo’s famously patient fans were finally put out of their misery yesterday as a new Nintendo Direct revealed a range of games and products designed to celebrate the 35th anniversary of Super Mario Bros.
Here’s a quick recap of every announcement.
Super Mario Bros. 35th Anniversary Direct Recap
- Super Mario 3D All-Stars: A three-game collection containing remastered versions of Super Mario 64, Super Mario Sunshine, and Super Mario Galaxy. The package version is a time-limited production that will only be available until March 2021.
- Mario Kart Live: Home Circuit: A new AR racing game developed in partnership with Velan Studios that uses a physical kart with a mounted camera. Two packs – based on Mario and Luigi – will be released on 16th October.
- Game & Watch: Super Mario Bros.: A new collectable based on the original 1980s Game & Watch system released in the 1980s. This version includes a colour screen, a modern D-pad (take that Switch!) and three games: Super Mario Bros., Super Mario Bros.: The Lost Levels, and a Mario-themed version of Ball. The device – which also features a clock, naturally – launches on November 13.
- Super Mario 3D World + Bowser’s Fury: The Nintendo Wii U classic returns in an enhanced version that now includes online gameplay and the mysterious Bowser’s Fury content expansion. It will be released on February 21 alongside new Cat Mario and Cat Peach amiibo figurines.
- Super Mario Bros. 35: The original Super Mario Bros. gets a 35 player battle-royale makeover. The game works similarly to Tetris 99 with defeated enemies sent to other player’s courses. The game launches on October 1 and is playable until March 2021.
- Super Mario All-Stars: The classic SNES compilation is now available to play via Nintendo Switch Online. It includes upgraded versions of Super Mario Bros., Super Mario Bros.: The Lost Levels, Super Mario Bros. 2, and Super Mario Bros. 3.
Upcoming Mario events in other games
- Mario Kart Tour: A special in-game event with guest appearances by Mario and Donkey Kong Jr. from the original Super Mario Kart.
- Super Mario Maker 2: A 35th anniversary-themed Ninji Speedrun course will be released in November.
- Super Smash Bros. Ultimate: An in-game online tournament using Super Mario fighters, stages and items will run across November and December.
- Splatoon 2: A brand new Mario-themed Splatfest will be held in January 2021.
- Animal Crossing: New Horizons: Super Mario-themed furniture will be available next March.
Also, a new range of merchandise will be available via the official Nintendo Store and My Nintendo. Other products getting a wider release include PUMA RS-Dreamer Super Mario 64 basketball shoes, Jenga Super Mario sets, an ‘It’s-a-Me’ Mario action figure, and a new range of apparel from Black Milk Clothing.
No one did this for my 35th birthday.
You can watch the Nintendo Direct again in full, right here.
We have a favour to ask
Thumbsticks has a couple of main aims. We want to write interesting articles and cover games that most outlets won't, and we want to give opportunities to new writers and new voices. And right now, with the current state of online publishing? It's tough! We hate to ask, but if you want us to continue writing what others won't, or to keep covering weird indie games, or to be able to give opportunities to new writers – and only if you can afford it – then please consider supporting us on Patreon.
Recommended for you
Latest from Thumbsticks
Marvel’s Avengers is now free on PS4, PS5, PC, and Stadia
Square Enix opens up Marvel's Avengers to PlayStation, Steam, and Stadia players for the next three days.
Ori: The Collection bundles both games on one Nintendo Switch cartridge
Iam8bit, the specialist publisher of collector's editions, is bringing Ori: The Collection to Nintendo Switch later this year.
PlayStation Plus gets three games in August 2021
Sony reveals the free video games available to PlayStation Plus subscribers in August 2021.
The Xbox Games with Gold for August 2021 are pretty good
The Xbox Games with Gold lineup for August 2021 includes an underrated sequel and a flawed but fun homage to...
Krispy Kreme developing Nexus Level Doughnut in partnership with Xbox
This Krispy Kreme / Xbox mashup doughnut looks delicious, sure, but why is it called the "Nexus Level" doughnut?
Is Valve’s Steam Deck the perfect gateway to PC gaming?
With a simple and approachable device like the Steam Deck, will PC gaming finally get its hooks into console gamers?
The next Monster Hunter Rise event adds Okami’s Amaterasu
Capcom has announced that the next collaboration event for Monster Hunter Rise will feature Amaterasu from Okami.
This tech demo from Gears of War developer The Coalition is unreal
Unreal Engine 5 running on the Xbox Series X, that is.