Ubisoft announces release dates for Watch Dogs Legion and Assassin’s Creed Valhalla, and there’s a first look at Far Cry 6.
We like to get excited by new video games, but it was hard to be too enthusiastic about last night’s Ubisoft showcase.
Another wave of allegations concerning sexual misconduct and toxic work culture has reached the top of the company, resulting in the departures of chief creative officer Serge Hascoët, Canadian studios head Yannis Mallat, and global head of HR, Cécile Cornet. They follow the recent resignation of Maxime Béland, and the suspension of Tommy Francois and Andrien Gbinigie following multiple allegations of sexual assault and harassment.
In a statement addressing the problem, Ubisoft CEO and co-founder Yves Guillemot promises change:
“Ubisoft has fallen short in its obligation to guarantee a safe and inclusive workplace environment for its employees. This is unacceptable, as toxic behaviors are in direct contrast to values on which I have never compromised – and never will. I am committed to implementing profound changes across the company to improve and strengthen our workplace culture.”
By all accounts, it’s a deep-rooted problem. We just hope that Ubisoft takes the situation as seriously as Guillemot indicates.
Oh, yeah, and here’s a quick rundown on every announcement from the first Ubisoft Forward of 2020.
Ubisoft Forward – July 2020
- Watch Dogs Legion – Ubisoft Toronto’s upcoming dystopian open-world game is introduced with a short film from Emmy Award-winning director Alberto Mielgo. New gameplay footage shows the game’s flexible character options and approach to missions. Releases on October 29, 2020.
- Brawlhalla – The cartoon fighter is coming to iOS and Android devices on August 6, 2020.
- Might and Magic: Era of Chaos – A sizzle reel trailer for the popular mobile battle RPG.
- Tom Clancy’s Elite Squad – Please be excited for the upcoming Clancyverse mobile game. Please. Released on August 27, 2020.
- Rainbow Six Siege – A thank you video from Ubisoft Montreal to celebrate the game’s fifth anniversary
- Hyper Scape – Ubisoft’s new battle royale shooter gets a new story trailer. The open beta is now live.
- Watch Dogs Legion – Confirmation from plucky Phil Spencer that Watch Dogs Legion supports Xbox Series X Smart Delivery.
- Assassin’s Creed Valhalla – A new gameplay deep-dive details Valhalla’s combat mechanics, environments and missions. It looks too sunny to be Britain, but it does look lovely. Released for current-gen consoles on November 17, 2020.
- Far Cry 6 – Giancarlo Esposito and Anton Castillo star in the next Far Cry instalment. An overwrought story trailer ignites a small modicum of excitement. Released on February 18, 2021.
You can watch the full 50-minute show below. Another Ubisoft Forward presentation is due later this year.
Enjoyed this article?
Found it interesting, entertaining, useful, or informative? Maybe it even saved you some money. That's great to hear! Sadly, independent publishing is struggling worse than ever, and Thumbsticks is no exception. So please, if you can afford to, consider supporting us via Patreon or buying us a coffee.
Surprising nobody, 2K adds annoying, unskippable ads to NBA 2K21
Xbox Elite Wireless Controller warranty extended following lawsuit
A decade on, Starcraft 2 will receive no additional content updates
The Outer Worlds on Switch is getting patched this week
Square Enix releasing physical versions of Final Fantasy VII and VIII, again
New Nintendo Switch releases (October 19-23, 2020)
New PlayStation 4 releases (October 19-23, 2020)
New Xbox One releases (October 19-23, 2020)
Support Thumbsticks on Patreon, for as low as $1 a month, and you'll get a login to a speedy, ad-free version of the site.