Here’s every licensed song on the Life is Strange: True Colors soundtrack (and Wavelengths DLC), featuring Sigur Rós, Phoebe Bridgers, Michael Kiwanuka, Kings of Leon, and Dido.
Licensed soundtracks in video games are an odd thing. Sometimes, they can absolutely make a game, cementing its time and place like Tony Hawk’s Pro Skater or Grand Theft Auto: San Andreas. But on the other hand, they can be a horrific licensing burden, and actually resulted in Alan Wake being removed from sale until the issue was cleared up, 18 months later.
For something like Life is Strange, though, a video game with a particular teenaged angst mixtape vibe, it would be weird to not feature licensed tunes. Particularly in Life is Strange: True Colors, which – as we learned in last month’s gameplay preview – is (in part, at least) set in a record shop.
(And its prequel DLC, Wavelengths, casts the player as record shop owner and local radio DJ, Steph. So, again, would be even weirder without real music.)
But with the weight of mega-publisher Square Enix behind it – don’t underestimate how big a scoop it was for the Japanese publisher to get Florence Welch to cover Ben E King’s Stand By Me for the Final Fantasy XV soundtrack – Life is Strange has pulled in some big acts over the years, including Bloc Party, Gorillaz, Foals, Alt-J, Wolf Alice, Mogwai, and PJ Harvey, among others.
The soundtrack to Life is Strange: True Colours looks to be no different, featuring everything from Dido, Kings of Leon, and Sigur Rós (we’ve heard of those!) to Michael Kiwanuka and Phoebe Bridgers. Foals, Alt-J, Wolf Alice, and a few of the usual suspects are also back for True Colors and its DLC, Wavelengths.
Here’s everything we know so far, with a few blanks to fill in on that DLC.
Life is Strange: True Colors soundtrack
- Haven (from Life is Strange) – Novo Amor
- When You Call – Cyrus Reynolds, Bellsaint
- Creep – Mxmtoon
- Love Song – Angus & Julia Stone
- Heavy Gets Light – Angus & Julia Stone
- Living Underground – Angus & Julia Stone
- For Remembering – Angus & Julia Stone
- Take Me Home – Angus & Julia Stone
- Let Me Know – Angus & Julia Stone
- Blue – Angus & Julia Stone
- Forever For Us – Angus & Julia Stone
- From A Dream – Angus & Julia Stone
- In My Arms – Angus & Julia Stone
- When Was That – Angus & Julia Stone
- Tears – Angus & Julia Stone
- Carry You – Novo Amor
- Don’t Matter – Kings of Leon
- Rituals – Corre
- Scott Street – Phoebe Bridgers
- Break Apart – Bonobo, Rhye
- You – Keaton Hanson
- Finding My Way Home – Far Caspian
- Arrows – Haux
- Brother – Fenne Lily
- Home – Gabrielle Aplin
- Thank You – Dido
- Home Again – Michael Kiwanuka
- Staying – Koda
- Lately – Metronomy
- Darkside – Ape Dos Mil
- Teenage Headache Dreams (with Ellie Rowsell) – Mura Masa, Ellie Rowsell, Wolf Alice
A number of the tracks – most notably, everything from Angus & Julia Stone – were written and recorded specifically for Life is Strange: True Colors. You can listen to it as a playlist over on Spotify.
The artists – but not the tracks themselves, yet – have also been revealed for Life is Strange: Wavelengths, the prequel for True Colors that releases at the end of the month. This is what we know so far, to be updated when more information becomes available.
Update, October 1, 2021: The full tracklisting for the Life is Strange: Wavelengths DLC is now available on Spotify, so we’ve updated the article to reflect this.
Life is Strange: Wavelengths soundtrack – TBC
- Feel it Still – Portugal, The Man
- When Am I Gonna Lose You – Local Natives
- Familiar – Agnes Obel
- The Gospel of John Hurt – Alt-J
- Fall Asleep – Big Joanie
- Black Bull – Foals
- Girls – Girl in Red
- Feelings – Hayley Kiyoko
- Boy From School – Hot Chip
- Paint Me Silver – Pond
- Slow Wave Pulse Code – Researcher
- Sæglópur – Sigur Rós
- Bloodstream – Soccer Mommy
- Talking Distance – Sunbeam Sound Machine
- Difficult – Uffie
You can also listen to this one over on Spotify.
Life is Strange: True Colors releases on September 9, 2021. Its prequel DLC, Wavelengths, releases on September 30.