Here’s the long list of everything that was announced for Super Mario Maker 2 during last night’s Nintendo Direct.
Super Mario Maker 2 looks increasingly impressive (and increasingly daunting) the more we see of it. In last night’s Nintendo Direct a host of new features and items were revealed ahead of the game’s June release, with the promise of more to come.
Every course part and enemy included in the Wii U original – Goombas, blocks, coins, mushrooms warp pipes, etc – return, along with a host of new additions.
The game’s online functionality – which will require a Nintendo Switch Online subscription – has also been improved. Course sharing is similar to the Wii U game, but with some enhancements, and up to four players can tackle courses together online.
In VS mode, players can compete to win based on a stage’s pre-defined success criteria. Players can also choose a difficulty level and the game will randomly generate a series of user-created courses to play.
Super Mario Maker 2 also includes a story mode – featuring levels created by Nintendo – and a new game style based on Super Mario 3D World.
Here’s the full list of new features.
Super Mario Maker 2 – Nintendo Direct
New course parts and enemies
- Slopes. (Whoop!)
- Angry Sun
- Snake Block
- ON/OFF switch that can be used on objects including platforms
- Swinging Claw
- In-game water/lava – with user set height and duration
- Custom scrolling
- Vertical sub-areas
- Scroll stop – allowing for secret rooms
- Banzai Bill
- Dry Bones shell
- Big coins (10, 20, 30, 50 denominations)
- Diagonal Conveyor Belts
- Red Yoshis that breathe fire
- Boom Boom mini-boss
- Couch co-op course creation
- Course clear conditions – win by defeating enemies, collection coins, etc.
- New sound effects
- Clear over 100 Nintendo-created courses to help rebuild Peach’s castle
- Each course showcases the game’s toolset, features, and functions
New Course Themes
Introducing the Moon
- The Moon turns day to night.
- Depending on the theme, environmental conditions will change such as gravity, wind, and super slippy snow.
Super Mario 3D World Game Style
The new Super Mario 3D World game style is not compatible with other styles due to its unique course parts, which include:
- Cat Mario
- Clear pipes
- Warp Box
- Spike Block
- Blinking Block
- Track Block
- Banzai Bill variant
- Mushroom Trampoline
- Piranha Creeper
- Koopa Trooper Car
- Charvaargh lava monster
- Pom Pom mini-boss
- User-created courses can be found by ID, date, popularity, and tag
- Players can leave comments (Be nice.)
- Supports download and offline play
- Maker profiles – Maker Miis can earn points that can be used on cosmetics
- Course World returns
- Four player online multiplayer
- Multiplayer VS. mode
Phew. That’s about it. We probably missed something, but suffice to say that Super Mario Maker 2 is looking like a worthwhile sequel. The game is set for release on Nintendo Switch on June 28, 2019.
The Direct closed with the reveal of Nintendo Switch Game Vouchers. Players with a Nintendo Switch Online membership can purchase two vouchers for $99.99/£84.00 until July 31, 2019. The vouchers can be redeemed against a list of first and second party Switch games via the Nintendo eShop, saving up to $19.99/£36.00 on their list price. (Note: the UK price is inclusive of sales tax.)