Electronic Arts announces a new Skate and demos the first gameplay of Star Wars Squadron at EA Play Live 2020.
EA saved the best until last on last night’s EA Play Live stream. The confirmation that a new instalment in the Skate franchise is now in development is most welcome. We hope that EA’s execs tip their hats to Session for proving that an audience for skateboarding games still exists.
Last week’s leak of Star Wars Squadrons somewhat spoiled its full reveal, but the first footage of the game’s single and multiplayer modes was impressive. Squadrons looks to be a considerable improvement over the ship combat modes included in recent Battlefront games.
There was also news of new titles in development under the EA Originals banner, and official confirmation that Apex Legends is getting a Nintendo Switch port later this year.
The show was also interesting for what we didn’t see. There was nothing of the mooted Mass Effect Trilogy remaster, and the next Battlefield, Dragon Age, and Need for Speed titles were only given brief ‘in-development’ sizzle reel appearances.
Here’s the complete list of everything Electronic Arts announced at EA Play Live 2020. Scroll down to watch the show in full.
EA Play Live 2020 announcements
- Apex Legends – Season 5’s latest collection event is called ‘Lost Treasures’ and begins June 23
- Apex Legends – Coming to Steam and Nintendo Switch in Fall 2020
- Nintendo Switch – Seven games coming to the platform, including Burnout Paradise, Apex Legends, and, we assume, FIFA 21
- Games on Steam – Titles including The Sims 4, TitanFall 2, A Way Out, and Command & Conquer Remastered are out now on Steam
- It Takes Two – A new co-op action-adventure platformer from A Way Out developer, Hazelight, is coming in 2021
- Lost in Random – Zoink’s new gothic fairy tale adventure is now in development and expected in 2021
- Rocket Arena – A ‘rockets only’ hero shooter coming to PS4, Xbox One and PC from Final Strike Games on July 14
- EA Originals – Velan Studios is also working on a new team-based action game to be released under EA’s indie label
- Star Wars Squadrons – Gameplay footage of the single-player and multiplayer modes, and cross-play confirmed. Released on October 2
- EA Sports – Confirmation of next-gen outings for FIFA 21 and Madden NFL 21 but no release dates
- Next-gen projects – Confirmation that EA Motive, Criterion, Dice, and Bioware are working on games for PS5 and Xbox Series X
- Skate game – A new game in the Skate series is now in development
We hate to ask, but...
Thumbsticks has a couple of goals. We want to write interesting articles and cover games that most outlets won't, and we want to give opportunities to new writers and new voices. And right now, with the current state of online publishing? It's tough to meet those goals! We hate to ask, but if you want us to continue writing what others won't, or to keep covering weird indie games, or to be able to give opportunities to new writers – and only if you can afford it – then please consider supporting us on Patreon.
Recommended for you
Latest from Thumbsticks
Nintendo’s Doug Bowser clarifies the future of Animal Crossing after E3 absence
Fans hoping for an update on Animal Crossing: New Horizons at E3 came away disappointed. Worry not, says Doug Bowser.
Bethesda’s Pete Hines ‘sorry’ for frustration that Starfield won’t come to PlayStation 5
In an interview, Bethesda's senior vice president of marketing, Pete Hines, spoke to PlayStation fans, apologising for the frustration that...
Metro Exodus Xbox Series X|S and PS5 upgrade detailed
With Metro Exodus about to launch on Xbox Series X|S and PlayStation 5, developer 4A Games has outlined some of...
Something was conspicuously absent from the Xbox E3 2021 conference
Master Chief? Present. Forza? Here. Sea of Thieves? Yarr! Bethesda exclusives? You bet. So why did it feel like something...
Time is running out to get Control for free on PC
Control, Remedy’s dark, strange third-person shooter, is free on the Epic Games Store.
Xbox Series X exclusive confirmed for PS5 release
The Xbox Series X|S is losing a high-profile exclusive to Sony’s PlayStation 5 console this September.
Rockstar shuttering legacy online servers for GTA Online, other titles
Rockstar is bringing an end to online services for the PlayStation 3 and Xbox 360 versions of GTA V, Max...
Did Nintendo really just bench Zelda, again, for Breath of the Wild 2?
Is it still technically fridging if the hero's princess falls down a really big hole? Asking for a friend.