Electronic Arts announces a new Skate and demos the first gameplay of Star Wars Squadron at EA Play Live 2020.
EA saved the best until last on last night’s EA Play Live stream. The confirmation that a new instalment in the Skate franchise is now in development is most welcome. We hope that EA’s execs tip their hats to Session for proving that an audience for skateboarding games still exists.
Last week’s leak of Star Wars Squadrons somewhat spoiled its full reveal, but the first footage of the game’s single and multiplayer modes was impressive. Squadrons looks to be a considerable improvement over the ship combat modes included in recent Battlefront games.
There was also news of new titles in development under the EA Originals banner, and official confirmation that Apex Legends is getting a Nintendo Switch port later this year.
The show was also interesting for what we didn’t see. There was nothing of the mooted Mass Effect Trilogy remaster, and the next Battlefield, Dragon Age, and Need for Speed titles were only given brief ‘in-development’ sizzle reel appearances.
Here’s the complete list of everything Electronic Arts announced at EA Play Live 2020. Scroll down to watch the show in full.
EA Play Live 2020 announcements
- Apex Legends – Season 5’s latest collection event is called ‘Lost Treasures’ and begins June 23
- Apex Legends – Coming to Steam and Nintendo Switch in Fall 2020
- Nintendo Switch – Seven games coming to the platform, including Burnout Paradise, Apex Legends, and, we assume, FIFA 21
- Games on Steam – Titles including The Sims 4, TitanFall 2, A Way Out, and Command & Conquer Remastered are out now on Steam
- It Takes Two – A new co-op action-adventure platformer from A Way Out developer, Hazelight, is coming in 2021
- Lost in Random – Zoink’s new gothic fairy tale adventure is now in development and expected in 2021
- Rocket Arena – A ‘rockets only’ hero shooter coming to PS4, Xbox One and PC from Final Strike Games on July 14
- EA Originals – Velan Studios is also working on a new team-based action game to be released under EA’s indie label
- Star Wars Squadrons – Gameplay footage of the single-player and multiplayer modes, and cross-play confirmed. Released on October 2
- EA Sports – Confirmation of next-gen outings for FIFA 21 and Madden NFL 21 but no release dates
- Next-gen projects – Confirmation that EA Motive, Criterion, Dice, and Bioware are working on games for PS5 and Xbox Series X
- Skate game – A new game in the Skate series is now in development