With just over a month to go until release, Nintendo has released the final Super Smash Bros. Ultimate Direct. Here’s our round-up of all the big announcements.
Super Smash Bros. Ultimate is the last big Nintendo release of the year and, alongside Pokemon Let’s Go, is one half of the Switch’s somewhat meagre first party fall line-up.
The game has already been the subject of some tortuously long videos – hello E3 – and today was no exception, with 40 minutes of new information drip fed to eager fans by game director, Masahiro Sakurai. That being said, it all looks rather wonderful, so roll on December. Here’s everything that was revealed today.
Smash Bros. Ultimate Direct announcements
- New echo fighter: Ken from the Street Fighter series
- New fighter: Incineroar from the Pokémon series
- New fighter: Piranha Plant (Available as an early purchase bonus)
- Amiibo: Inkling, Ridley and Wolf – available Dec. 7. 2018
- Amiibo: Isabelle, Pichu, Ken, Young Link, Daisy – Spring 2019
- Amiibo: King K. Rool, Ice Climbers and Piranha Plant – February 2019
- Spirits: character-based power-ups to lend fighters a helping hand, and enhance their powers. Different classes: Novice, Advanced, and Aces, Legend
- Spirit battles: spirits are obtained by completing battles with specific conditions, evolved, trained, and levelled up
- Online Matchmaking is based on three factors: Preferred rules, Global Smash Power, Internet connection. Matchmaking also runs in the background.
- Elite Battles are available for high level GSP players
- Smash Tag: gained when you win a battle
- A wide range of Taunt Messages that are used pre-match
- Spectator mode returns
- Supports two-player teams on single Nintendo Switch
- Battle Arena: Set rules for friend battles
- Mob Smash: Lets players battle an army of fighters on different stages
- Smash World Online App: supports voice chat, free game service on the way in 2019
- Assist trophies: New assist trophies include Thwomp, Yuri Kozukata from Project Zero, Fire Emblem‘s Black Knight, Spring Man, and Street Fighter‘s Guile . There are 59 in total.
- All-Star mode is available from the start
- Replays can be saved and edited
- Shop: Redeem in-game currency for music tracks, spirits and other items
- Extensive player statistics and records available
- 11 languages supported
- Separate brightness and sound modes for docked and handheld modes
- Adjustable fighter power level for offline modes.
- Mii Fighters can be customised with voices and new outfits from games including Splatoon 2, ARMS, Breath of the Wild, Chibi-Robo, and Nintendo Labo.
- DLC confirmed: Post launch sets to include a fighter, stage and music track.
- Fighters Passwill include five sets and bonus Rex outfit from Xenoblade Chronicles 2
- Adventure mode called World of Light confirmed
Super Smash Bros. Ultimate is released for the Nintendo Switch on December, 7, 2018.
More Nintendo from Thumbsticks
- GameCube Anthology Review
- Sega Genesis Classics Nintendo Switch release date confirmed
- Nintendo eShop releases for October 29-November 2, 2018
Recommended for you
Enjoyed this article?
Found it interesting, entertaining, useful, or informative? Maybe it even saved you some money. That's great to hear! Sadly, independent publishing is struggling worse than ever, and Thumbsticks is no exception. So please, if you can afford to, consider supporting us via Patreon or buying us a coffee.
Enjoyed this article?
An excellent strategy game is free to play on Xbox right now
Can we please stop making video games based on HP Lovecraft?
Save up to 80% in four new Nintendo Switch indie sales
Everything announced on the April 2021 Nintendo Indie World Showcase
What colors does the Nintendo Switch Lite come in?
Save up to 95% with this week’s Xbox digital game sales
Which companies are attending E3 2021?
New PlayStation Store releases (April 12-16, 2021)
Support Thumbsticks on Patreon, for as low as $1 a month, to disable adverts.