The latest Nintendo Switch firmware update adds a host of useful features, plus some new player icons.
Nintendo has released system firmware 5.0.0 for the Nintendo Switch. The update is predominantly focussed on the system’s parental controls, but there are a few UI flourishes, too.
Users of the Nintendo Switch Parental Controls app can now whitelist specific games to exclude them from the console’s parental software restrictions. Parental restrictions also now apply to videos captured in the Media Album.
Other additions include 24 new user icons based on characters from Arms and the Kirby series, and filters for the news channel. Also useful is the ability to get friend suggestions by linking your Facebook and Twitter accounts.
Here’s the full list of features:
Nintendo Switch update 5.0.0
- Facebook and Twitter friends that also use Nintendo Switch can now be added through Friend Suggestions
- Using the Nintendo Switch Parental Controls app, add specific software titles to your whitelist to exclude them from the console’s Parental Controls Restricted Software setting
- Captured videos in the Album will be restricted by Parental Controls depending on the Restricted Software setting and Software Rating Organization
- To keep the Parental Controls PIN private, the default method for PIN entry has been changed to entering using the Control Stick and buttons instead of the on-screen number pad
- Select from 24 new ARMS and the Kirby series icons for your user
- Digital software purchases made from a PC or smart device will start downloading sooner than previously, even if the Nintendo Switch console is in Sleep Mode
- Receive notification when pre-purchased software is ready to play
- Filter News to view only unread news or news from specific channels
- Nintendo Switch Pro Controller grip colors will now display in the Controllers menu
Update 5.0.0 should download automatically, but if not you can go into the Settings/System menu to start the process manually.
More from Thumbsticks
- Nintendo eShop releases for March 15, 2018
- PS4 update 5.50 adds a host of new features
- Everything announced in March’s Nintendo Direct
Want more neat stuff?
If you want to keep abreast of the latest news, features, reviews, guides, and sales, we can send all our latest articles and great content straight to your inbox. You know, collated together, once or twice a week, in a newsletter. We wouldn't send them one at a time – that would be weird and annoying!
Recommended for you
Latest from Thumbsticks
The Xbox Games with Gold for August 2021 are pretty good
The Xbox Games with Gold lineup for August 2021 includes an underrated sequel and a flawed but fun homage to...
Krispy Kreme developing Nexus Level Doughnut in partnership with Xbox
This Krispy Kreme / Xbox mashup doughnut looks delicious, sure, but why is it called the "Nexus Level" doughnut?
Is Valve’s Steam Deck the perfect gateway to PC gaming?
With a simple and approachable device like the Steam Deck, will PC gaming finally get its hooks into console gamers?
The next Monster Hunter Rise event adds Okami’s Amaterasu
Capcom has announced that the next collaboration event for Monster Hunter Rise will feature Amaterasu from Okami.
This tech demo from Gears of War developer The Coalition is unreal
Unreal Engine 5 running on the Xbox Series X, that is.
Xbox Ultimate Game Sale and Deals with Gold Highlights
This week's Xbox One and Xbox Series X|S digital sales features a new Deals with Gold lineup and the Ultimate...
Mortal Kombat franchise sells 73 million units on console
Warner Bros. Games reveals some impressive sales numbers for Mortal Kombat 11 and the franchise as a whole.
New PlayStation Store releases for July 26-30, 2021
The Great Ace Attorney Chronicles and Neo: The World Ends with You headline a busy week of new PlayStation Store releases for...