The latest Nintendo Switch firmware update adds a host of useful features, plus some new player icons.
Nintendo has released system firmware 5.0.0 for the Nintendo Switch. The update is predominantly focussed on the system’s parental controls, but there are a few UI flourishes, too.
Users of the Nintendo Switch Parental Controls app can now whitelist specific games to exclude them from the console’s parental software restrictions. Parental restrictions also now apply to videos captured in the Media Album.
Other additions include 24 new user icons based on characters from Arms and the Kirby series, and filters for the news channel. Also useful is the ability to get friend suggestions by linking your Facebook and Twitter accounts.
Here’s the full list of features:
Nintendo Switch update 5.0.0
- Facebook and Twitter friends that also use Nintendo Switch can now be added through Friend Suggestions
- Using the Nintendo Switch Parental Controls app, add specific software titles to your whitelist to exclude them from the console’s Parental Controls Restricted Software setting
- Captured videos in the Album will be restricted by Parental Controls depending on the Restricted Software setting and Software Rating Organization
- To keep the Parental Controls PIN private, the default method for PIN entry has been changed to entering using the Control Stick and buttons instead of the on-screen number pad
- Select from 24 new ARMS and the Kirby series icons for your user
- Digital software purchases made from a PC or smart device will start downloading sooner than previously, even if the Nintendo Switch console is in Sleep Mode
- Receive notification when pre-purchased software is ready to play
- Filter News to view only unread news or news from specific channels
- Nintendo Switch Pro Controller grip colors will now display in the Controllers menu
Update 5.0.0 should download automatically, but if not you can go into the Settings/System menu to start the process manually.