Nintendo Switch system update 8.0.0 adds a host of useful new features, including one that sets the table for new hardware.
The most immediately useful new feature included in update 8.0.0. is a ’sort software’ option that lets users order their games by time last played, total play time, software title, or software publisher.
The update also adds 15 new user icons – from Splatoon 2 and Yoshi’s Crafted World – and a new screen zoom feature that can be activated by double-tapping the Home button. Other minor changes – detailed below – update the console’s region options and parental controls.
Most interesting is the new ‘Transfer Your Save Data’ tool which lets users migrate save data for individual games between Nintendo Switch consoles.
At face value there’s nothing too exciting about this particular feature, but the timing is interesting. Rumours are circulating that two new Switch consoles are set for release later this year. If true, an upgrade path for existing owners is essential.
With save data transfers in place – and coupled with cloud save backups for members of Nintendo Switch Online – there’s now nothing to stop a console double dip for the most ardent of Switch fans.
Longtime Nintendo 3DS users will know all too well about system-to-system transfers, a process only made tolerable by the use of Pikmin to visually represent the deathly slow transfer of data. Let’s hope the Switch version is speedier.
Here are the full patch notes for the 8.0.0 update.
Version 8.0.0 (Distributed 04/15/2019)
- A Sort Software feature is available after selecting to view All Software from the HOME Menu
- Software can be sorted by time last played, total play time, software title, and software publisher
- The All Software option displays when there are 13 or more software icons on the HOME Menu
- A View All Available News option is available within News, allowing you to view all news items currently being distributed
- Go to News > Channel List > View More
- Select from 15 new icons from the Splatoon™ 2 and Yoshi’s Crafted World™ games for your user
- To edit your user icon, head to your My Page on the top left of the HOME Menu > Profile
- A feature to Transfer Your Save Data is now available, allowing you to transfer your save data for individual games between your Nintendo Switch systems
- Go to System Settings > Data Management > Transfer Your Save Data
- Save data will not remain on your source system after the transfer process completes
- A Zoom feature can be enabled from within System Settings
- Go to System Settings > System to turn Zoom ON
- Once enabled, you can use the Zoom feature by pressing the HOME Button twice
- An option is available to prevent the system from waking from Sleep Mode when an AC adapter is disconnected
- Go to System Settings > Sleep Mode > Wake When AC Adapter is Disconnected
- This also applies when undocking your console
- A VR Mode (3D Visuals) restriction is available within Parental Controls
- This will also be available in the Nintendo Switch Parental Controls app through a later update
- Go to System Settings > Parental Controls
- These settings can also be changed from within Nintendo Labo Toy-Con 04: VR Kit
- Hong Kong / Taiwan / South Korea is available for selection in Region
- Go to System Settings > System > Region
- The following names have been changed (functionality remains the same)
- Save Data Cloud Backup > Save Data Cloud
- Transfer Your User and Save Data > Transfer Your User Data
- General system stability improvements to enhance the user’s experience.
We hate to ask, but...
Thumbsticks has a couple of goals. We want to write interesting articles and cover games that most outlets won't, and we want to give opportunities to new writers and new voices. And right now, with the current state of online publishing? It's tough to meet those goals! We hate to ask, but if you want us to continue writing what others won't, or to keep covering weird indie games, or to be able to give opportunities to new writers – and only if you can afford it – then please consider supporting us on Patreon.
Recommended for you
Latest from Thumbsticks
Nintendo’s Doug Bowser clarifies the future of Animal Crossing after E3 absence
Fans hoping for an update on Animal Crossing: New Horizons at E3 came away disappointed. Worry not, says Doug Bowser.
Bethesda’s Pete Hines ‘sorry’ for frustration that Starfield won’t come to PlayStation 5
In an interview, Bethesda's senior vice president of marketing, Pete Hines, spoke to PlayStation fans, apologising for the frustration that...
Metro Exodus Xbox Series X|S and PS5 upgrade detailed
With Metro Exodus about to launch on Xbox Series X|S and PlayStation 5, developer 4A Games has outlined some of...
Something was conspicuously absent from the Xbox E3 2021 conference
Master Chief? Present. Forza? Here. Sea of Thieves? Yarr! Bethesda exclusives? You bet. So why did it feel like something...
Time is running out to get Control for free on PC
Control, Remedy’s dark, strange third-person shooter, is free on the Epic Games Store.
Xbox Series X exclusive confirmed for PS5 release
The Xbox Series X|S is losing a high-profile exclusive to Sony’s PlayStation 5 console this September.
Rockstar shuttering legacy online servers for GTA Online, other titles
Rockstar is bringing an end to online services for the PlayStation 3 and Xbox 360 versions of GTA V, Max...
Did Nintendo really just bench Zelda, again, for Breath of the Wild 2?
Is it still technically fridging if the hero's princess falls down a really big hole? Asking for a friend.