Nintendo Switch system update 8.0.0 adds a host of useful new features, including one that sets the table for new hardware.
The most immediately useful new feature included in update 8.0.0. is a ’sort software’ option that lets users order their games by time last played, total play time, software title, or software publisher.
The update also adds 15 new user icons – from Splatoon 2 and Yoshi’s Crafted World – and a new screen zoom feature that can be activated by double-tapping the Home button. Other minor changes – detailed below – update the console’s region options and parental controls.
Most interesting is the new ‘Transfer Your Save Data’ tool which lets users migrate save data for individual games between Nintendo Switch consoles.
At face value there’s nothing too exciting about this particular feature, but the timing is interesting. Rumours are circulating that two new Switch consoles are set for release later this year. If true, an upgrade path for existing owners is essential.
With save data transfers in place – and coupled with cloud save backups for members of Nintendo Switch Online – there’s now nothing to stop a console double dip for the most ardent of Switch fans.
Longtime Nintendo 3DS users will know all too well about system-to-system transfers, a process only made tolerable by the use of Pikmin to visually represent the deathly slow transfer of data. Let’s hope the Switch version is speedier.
Here are the full patch notes for the 8.0.0 update.
Version 8.0.0 (Distributed 04/15/2019)
- A Sort Software feature is available after selecting to view All Software from the HOME Menu
- Software can be sorted by time last played, total play time, software title, and software publisher
- The All Software option displays when there are 13 or more software icons on the HOME Menu
- A View All Available News option is available within News, allowing you to view all news items currently being distributed
- Go to News > Channel List > View More
- Select from 15 new icons from the Splatoon™ 2 and Yoshi’s Crafted World™ games for your user
- To edit your user icon, head to your My Page on the top left of the HOME Menu > Profile
- A feature to Transfer Your Save Data is now available, allowing you to transfer your save data for individual games between your Nintendo Switch systems
- Go to System Settings > Data Management > Transfer Your Save Data
- Save data will not remain on your source system after the transfer process completes
- A Zoom feature can be enabled from within System Settings
- Go to System Settings > System to turn Zoom ON
- Once enabled, you can use the Zoom feature by pressing the HOME Button twice
- An option is available to prevent the system from waking from Sleep Mode when an AC adapter is disconnected
- Go to System Settings > Sleep Mode > Wake When AC Adapter is Disconnected
- This also applies when undocking your console
- A VR Mode (3D Visuals) restriction is available within Parental Controls
- This will also be available in the Nintendo Switch Parental Controls app through a later update
- Go to System Settings > Parental Controls
- These settings can also be changed from within Nintendo Labo Toy-Con 04: VR Kit
- Hong Kong / Taiwan / South Korea is available for selection in Region
- Go to System Settings > System > Region
- The following names have been changed (functionality remains the same)
- Save Data Cloud Backup > Save Data Cloud
- Transfer Your User and Save Data > Transfer Your User Data
- General system stability improvements to enhance the user’s experience.
Special delivery for you
If you want to keep on top of the latest news, features, reviews, guides, and sales, we can send all our latest articles and great content straight to your inbox. You know, collated together, once or twice a week, in a newsletter. We wouldn't send them one at a time – that would be weird and annoying!
Recommended for you
Latest from Thumbsticks
Planet Zoo announces North America Animal Pack DLC
We're trying to avoid making jokes about Planet Zoo's beaver. (You have no idea how hard it is right now.)
Ashley Tisdale discusses The Dark Pictures Anthology: House of Ashes
In a new interview, actor Ashley Tisdale speaks about the experience of making The Dark Pictures Anthology: House of Ashes.
Save on great games in the PlayStation Store Big in Japan sale
The latest PlayStation Store sale discounts some excellent PS4 and PS5 games from Japanese developers and publishers.
Surprise! Nintendo announces September 2021 Nintendo Direct
There's a September 2021 Nintendo Direct presentation happening very soon. Nothing like a bit of notice, eh, Nintendo?
Arkane is back with another high-concept shooter. Is Deathloop the studio's next masterpiece, or are we playing the same game...
Godot Engine adds native Arabic text support
It's 2021. It shouldn't be a massive surprise when a game engine like Godot adds proper, out-of-the-box Arabic text support,...
Save up to 90% with this week’s Xbox deals
Here's a quick review of this week's new Xbox Series X|S and Xbox One digital deals.
The Good Life release date and trailer revealed
Swery's small-town detective thriller The Good Life is coming to PC and console next month.