Nintendo Switch system update 8.0.0 adds a host of useful new features, including one that sets the table for new hardware.
The most immediately useful new feature included in update 8.0.0. is a ’sort software’ option that lets users order their games by time last played, total play time, software title, or software publisher.
The update also adds 15 new user icons – from Splatoon 2 and Yoshi’s Crafted World – and a new screen zoom feature that can be activated by double-tapping the Home button. Other minor changes – detailed below – update the console’s region options and parental controls.
Most interesting is the new ‘Transfer Your Save Data’ tool which lets users migrate save data for individual games between Nintendo Switch consoles.
At face value there’s nothing too exciting about this particular feature, but the timing is interesting. Rumours are circulating that two new Switch consoles are set for release later this year. If true, an upgrade path for existing owners is essential.
With save data transfers in place – and coupled with cloud save backups for members of Nintendo Switch Online – there’s now nothing to stop a console double dip for the most ardent of Switch fans.
Longtime Nintendo 3DS users will know all too well about system-to-system transfers, a process only made tolerable by the use of Pikmin to visually represent the deathly slow transfer of data. Let’s hope the Switch version is speedier.
Here are the full patch notes for the 8.0.0 update.
Version 8.0.0 (Distributed 04/15/2019)
- A Sort Software feature is available after selecting to view All Software from the HOME Menu
- Software can be sorted by time last played, total play time, software title, and software publisher
- The All Software option displays when there are 13 or more software icons on the HOME Menu
- A View All Available News option is available within News, allowing you to view all news items currently being distributed
- Go to News > Channel List > View More
- Select from 15 new icons from the Splatoon™ 2 and Yoshi’s Crafted World™ games for your user
- To edit your user icon, head to your My Page on the top left of the HOME Menu > Profile
- A feature to Transfer Your Save Data is now available, allowing you to transfer your save data for individual games between your Nintendo Switch systems
- Go to System Settings > Data Management > Transfer Your Save Data
- Save data will not remain on your source system after the transfer process completes
- A Zoom feature can be enabled from within System Settings
- Go to System Settings > System to turn Zoom ON
- Once enabled, you can use the Zoom feature by pressing the HOME Button twice
- An option is available to prevent the system from waking from Sleep Mode when an AC adapter is disconnected
- Go to System Settings > Sleep Mode > Wake When AC Adapter is Disconnected
- This also applies when undocking your console
- A VR Mode (3D Visuals) restriction is available within Parental Controls
- This will also be available in the Nintendo Switch Parental Controls app through a later update
- Go to System Settings > Parental Controls
- These settings can also be changed from within Nintendo Labo Toy-Con 04: VR Kit
- Hong Kong / Taiwan / South Korea is available for selection in Region
- Go to System Settings > System > Region
- The following names have been changed (functionality remains the same)
- Save Data Cloud Backup > Save Data Cloud
- Transfer Your User and Save Data > Transfer Your User Data
- General system stability improvements to enhance the user’s experience.
We have a favour to ask
Thumbsticks has a couple of main aims. We want to write interesting articles and cover games that most outlets won't, and we want to give opportunities to new writers and new voices. And right now, with the current state of online publishing? It's tough! We hate to ask, but if you want us to continue writing what others won't, or to keep covering weird indie games, or to be able to give opportunities to new writers – and only if you can afford it – then please consider supporting us on Patreon.
Recommended for you
Latest from Thumbsticks
Following years of crunch, Lego Star Wars: The Skywalker Saga gets a release date
Warner Bros. Games confirms the release date for Lego Star Wars: The Skywalker Saga amid reports of crunch at developer TT...
Nintendo Switch Online: The big list of NES, SNES, N64 and Genesis games
Nintendo Switch Online includes access to a growing library of classic NES, SNES, N64, and Sega Genesis games. Here’s the...
One of last year’s very best games is coming to Xbox Game Pass
Death's Door, Rainbow Six Extraction and Windjammers 2 are among this month's second wave of Xbox Game Pass titles.
Among Us 2022 roadmap includes Friends List feature
Innersloth has outlined this year's content and development roadmap for Among Us.
New PlayStation Store releases: January 17-21, 2022
Here's a quick roundup of this week's brand new PlayStation Store releases for the PS4 and PS5.
Why the ‘Big Box’ Lair of the Clockwork God Collector’s Edition is a big deal
We spoke to Dan Marshall about the Lair of the Clockwork God Collector's Edition, and why indie games getting "Big...
New Nintendo Switch releases – January 17-22, 2022
Shadow Man Remastered and Windjammers 2 headline this week's list of new Nintendo Switch eShop releases.
New Xbox releases – January 17-21, 2022
Rainbow Six Extraction and Nobody Saves the World headline a busy week for new Xbox Series X|S and Xbox One...