Following the postponement of GDC 2020, Microsoft confirms plans to live-stream its sessions via a new online event called Game Stack Live.
Game Stack Live will be broadcast March 17-18 on Microsoft’s developer site. The two-day programme includes all of the talks and panels originally planned for the now-delayed Game Developers Conference.
With GDC cancelled, it’s good to see Microsoft use the tools at its disposal to ensure that sessions it planned will still be available, and free to watch.
Schedule highlights include a look at how The Coalition ensured high accessibility standards for Gears 5 and the importance and benefits of LiveOps. There will also be a peek behind the curtain at Forza developer Turn 10 and the recently acquired Microsft studio, Double Fine.
The most intriguing session is live-streamed at 11:40 on March 18. Titled, Xbox Series X + Project xCloud = New Chapter in Gaming, the talk promises to reveal more details about Microsoft’s new console and game streaming services.
To tune in (do people still say that?) head over to the Microsoft Developer site next week. Here’s the full lineup of talks.
Microsoft Game Stack Live Schedule
Day One – March 17 2020
- 10:00 – Welcome to Game Stack Live!
- 10:25 – How The Coalition built Gears 5 to be more accessible
- 10:45 – Building accessibility into your game – the Xbox Accessibility Guidelines
- 11:00 – Panel: The changing nature of today’s game industry
- 11:35 – Panel: How to be intentionally inclusive in your game design
- 12:15 – What is Microsoft Game Stack?
- 12:30 – The Importance of LiveOps
- 13:00 – Rare: Building Sea of Thieves with a LiveOps Mentality
- 13:35 – What it means to run a game studio – a conversation with Turn 10
- 14:00 – Maximizing impact and reach for your independent games with the [email protected] team
Day Two – March 18 2020
- 10:00 – Previously on Game Stack Live
- 10:15 – How inXile used creative iteration to drive Wasteland’s development
- 10:40 – Panel: How online services are defining the next generation of game development
- 11:40 – Xbox Series X + Project xCloud = New Chapter in Gaming
- 12:40 – The spark of creativity that drives Double Fine
- 13:20 – What’s new in DirectX: Raytracing, mesh shading, and more
For a look at how other studios and developers are handling the fallout from GDC’s cancellation, read our in-depth report.